Will a rear discharge toilet work here?

Users who are viewing this thread

JackOfAllTrades

Reaction score
Finishing a rehab of my home. The new master bath has sink plumbing, but no toilet plumbing (used to be the kitchen). Trying to decide if I should use a maceration/pump unit or if I can use a rear discharge toilet with existing setup. Current toilet is on the other side of existing wall and that bathroom is already finished. Dealing with a slab and don't want to excavate. Pics should explain my situation.

current:

IMG_20200505_115646783.jpg
IMG_20200505_115651620.jpg

currentcrop.png

Proposed:
proposed.png

Reach4

Reaction score
I am thinking
p400-030-2.jpg
p403-030-3.jpg
to receive the toilet output

depending on the height needed. The second one "3" PVC DWV Sanitary Street Tee"
has a spigot output, which is the same size as a 3 inch pipe. The 3 inch cast iron hub gets a donut. Search for donut in the search box above.

The top port of the santee would get a
437-338-4.jpg

3" x 2" PVC Schedule 40 Spigot x Socket Bushing

Into that is a 2 inch pvc pipe. On top of that pipe is a
p401-257-3.jpg

2" x 1-1/2" x 2" PVC DWV Sanitary Tee with whatever you need into the side.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ive only done wall hung on commercial jobs requiring a carrier fitting a thick wall probebly 12 inch . for a residential I dont know. Also note vent needs to be 2 inch, looks like 1 1/2 to me but not 100 percent sure. Generaly plumbing code would require a toilet that drains not pumped , If code is concern verify with athority

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A rear discharge roughs at 4-1/4" from the finished flooring. You would need to break concrete there to make that work.
If you're breaking concrete, then you have more options anyway.

JackOfAllTrades

Reaction score
A rear discharge roughs at 4-1/4" from the finished flooring. You would need to break concrete there to make that work.
If you're breaking concrete, then you have more options anyway.

How about the saniflo toilet with a 7.5" outlet? This is available at my local menard's. Zoeller pumps (also local) also sells a macerating combo with a higher than standard outlet on the bowl. I would rather get the maceration unit over breaking concrete because it would allow a preferred placement, however if I could make this work it could save a potential $650. Thoughts?

JackOfAllTrades

Reaction score
Ive only done wall hung on commercial jobs requiring a carrier fitting a thick wall probebly 12 inch . for a residential I dont know. Also note vent needs to be 2 inch, looks like 1 1/2 to me but not 100 percent sure. Generaly plumbing code would require a toilet that drains not pumped , If code is concern verify with athority

Looking at floor mounted rear discharge units only.

Reach4

Reaction score
How about the saniflo toilet with a 7.5" outlet? This is available at my local menard's. Zoeller pumps (also local) also sells a macerating combo with a higher than standard outlet on the bowl. I would rather get the maceration unit over breaking concrete because it would allow a preferred placement, however if I could make this work it could save a potential $650. Thoughts?
See https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/saniflo-rear-outlet-toilet-no-pump.86812/#post-622929

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
thanks terry, the wall outlets still set on floor I had a freind that had one in his house 20 years ago. only one Ive ever seen in real life other than pics (sheltered so cal boy here) very uncommon here.
Jack hammer time. I guess ill look it up just for kicks to see if a santee would even work and if they use a standard closet ring.

Reach4

Reaction score
I guess ill look it up just for kicks to see if a santee would even work and if they use a standard closet ring.
How high is that cast iron hub from the concrete floor?
How much higher will the finished floor be above the concrete?

Taylorjm

Reaction score
That sounds pretty incredible as a vent requirement.

Yeah, the maceration units don't require a 3" vent. I don't remember if it's 1-1/2" or 2" that I have on the unit in my vacation home but it comes right out of the maceration tank.

Reach4

Reaction score
The top of the lip is right at 2.5", floor is expected to be an undetermined tile direct to concrete.
It seems possible to hit a 4 inch rough if your floor is thick enough, but I think your tile would not be thick enough. How far down could you seat that spigot of the santee into a donut? I don't know. That saniflo 7 inch would be comfortable.

JackOfAllTrades

Reaction score
Yeah, the maceration units don't require a 3" vent. I don't remember if it's 1-1/2" or 2" that I have on the unit in my vacation home but it comes right out of the maceration tank.

Sorry, the requirement is to discharge into 3", not a 3" vent.

To clarify, If I use a maceration unit I would place the toilet in a different location due to the distance to soil stack requirement and a general preferred location. I would replace the current 1.5" galv vent with a 3" pvc soil stack down into current galv hub. The 1" discharge from the macerator unit would run up to the attic then over to this new 3".

Do I reduce to 1.5" over this conection and through the roof?

Do I need a new seperate vent for the sink?

Quote from saniflo manual:

THREE FEET MINIMUM
The macerating/pump must have at
least 3 feet of total pipe run in between
the pump and soil stack.
This will cause the macerator to
operate for an adequate period of
time to ensure waste reduction.

SOIL STACK CONNECTION
This unit must discharge into a
minimum 3-inch sanitary drainage pipe. All discharge pipe work must be
connected to the soil stack by an
appropriate and approved TY
connection. Please note: the use of a
Saddle Clip may be prohibited in your
area

JackOfAllTrades

Reaction score
It seems possible to hit a 4 inch rough if your floor is thick enough, but I think your tile would not be thick enough. How far down could you seat that spigot of the santee into a donut? I don't know. That saniflo 7 inch would be comfortable.

I think the 7in out saniflo bowl is prob the way to go.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
You should increase vent size to 2 inch dont know why its only 1 1/2 inch also trap arm to lav has back grade so it needs a little tweak here and there .
Saddle clip and TY arent terms I really use Im thinking TY is a tee wye differant spellings or a combi Saddle Clip sounds like a fitting that wont stick out of wall very far almost like a cleanout tee Im thinking toilet wall might need firring out. take carefull measurements from a fitting book to hit the height you need If I read correctly you say 7inches above finish floor? If I was pulling permit Id talk to inspector first and If I wasent pulling permit I spose I wouldnt worry about it. My code dosent allow pumping except when nessesary

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks