Why would a toilet have 3 connection holes in the base???

Users who are viewing this thread

Steve P

Reaction score
My new toilet has 3 machine made holes in the base (see pics). Now that the toilet is installed the middle hole is connected to the plumbing but the other 2 holes are not connected to anything. The base of the toilet is open in the back so the 2 unconnected holes are exposed (see pic 2) and let a nasty smell come into the bathroom. Why would these holes even exist and can I plug them to keep the smell from coming out?

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Steve P

Reaction score
Those two extra holes have nothing to do with the smell.
Did you install the bowl using two wax seals?

I didn't do the install myself so I'll bring the installer back to fix it. Also, the main hole in the toilet base did not match up with the hole in the floor so they used something inbetween to match them up. This probably doesn't help.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I didn't do the install myself so I'll bring the installer back to fix it. Also, the main hole in the toilet base did not match up with the hole in the floor so they used something inbetween to match them up. This probably doesn't help.

I was wondering about that. That drain location doesn't fit anything I know of. Where did that toilet come from? And what country has it been installed in? I can't imagine that fitting on any plumbing I've seen.

Steve P

Reaction score
I'm an American living in China at the moment and bought the toilet from an online seller. After a lot of research I found out that it's a bootleg "Arrow" toilet and the manufacturer doesn't even have a website. There's no bolt holes or bolts at all. It's fixed to the ground with caulking only. There's an offset flange connecting the toilet to the drain pipe. After a lot of research I'm guessing the guy that installed it didn't put a wax seal in.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The wax seal is normally the problem. It's the easiest thing to check for. Pull the bowl, and reset with wax.
With that bowl, I would be thinking two wax seals stacked.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks