Why use these over those? Angle Stops

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Adrian Luna, May 10, 2014.

1. Adrian Luna

Adrian Luna New Member

Other that ease of installation, cost, and the chrome plating if that matters inside a kitchen cabinet where 99% of the time the supply is unfinished copper..
    Why use angle stops like these: http://www.brasscraft.com/products.aspx?id=201

Wouldn't it be better to have a regular ball valve like this: http://img.directindustry.com/images_di/photo-g/brass-gas-ball-valves-70229-2319085.jpg
    (Then obviously) http://i.tfcdn.com/img2/1BylAE0AYyq...85P1cfIqLvqW9iWOQTlFwZVeXko5dVkA4A/fvUG-v8A.B
    I know the new ball valves work better then the cheap stop valves, but wouldn't the unfinished larger brass one last even longer? why not use them and ensure that you can shut the valve off in 70 years and be fine?
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2014
  2. SHR

SHR Member

OK. Your standard ball valve will work great just like you figured. I do not use them because when adding up all the parts they are more expensive to purchase and install. They have more joints to secure and therefore more chance for leaks. A good water line shut-off ball valve will work just as long and be as dependable for less money and an easier install. Either will work. IMO there is little or no benefit using the full size standard ball valve instead of a name brand quality water line shut-off ball valve.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Your first link has been edited so it will not work, but I assume it is for a chrome angle stop for a fixture supply line and if so, the ball valve and other "stuff'' you show is completely unnecessary. We have used those angle valves "Thousands" of time, probably hundreds or thousands over the past 60 years. Who says those ball valves are going to work in 60 years. I have had some that are just a few years old which either do not work or are already very hard to operate.
    Last edited: May 11, 2014
  4. Adrian Luna

Adrian Luna New Member

I guess basically the question was is it worth installing these over those if you never want to have to worry about it for a long long time. Guess not.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

There is a good chance that NEITHER one will work "smoothly" for a "long, long time".