Need Help With Kitchen Water Supply

Users who are viewing this thread

drjay9051

Reaction score
I'll try to make this simple. Kitchen cabinets being replaced in a couple of weeks. I had a slight leak at one of the shut off valves for sink. They are sweated connections, copper pipe. They are 1/2 and then 3/8 at the compression fitting end. The lines come into the house about 5 feet from sink and the former homeowner used lengths of braided steel line to supply faucet. I just replaced the old shut off valves with quarter turn shark Bite angle stops. these are 1/2 inch with 3/8 compression fittings. In essence I replaced like with like hoping to keep it simple.

I attached the braided lines to the Shark bite fittings with no problem. I now have water and no leak !

Here is where my confusion arises. I do not like the long run of braided hoses. Besides I need to install a couple of T fittings for icemaker and dishwasher which are new items in this home. If no dishwasher or ice maker I'd be done with this project!!

I want to run PEX or CPVC from the shut off valves along the base of cabinets and use T setup for new icemaker and dishwasher. I see shark bite has the proper size T (1/4 in for icemaker and 3/8 for dishwasher.).

However, these T connections are only available in 1/2 x 1/2 x 1/4 for the icemaker and 1/2 x1/2 x 3/8 for the dishwasher. They do not come as 3/8 x3/8 so aside from not being able to find tubing to fit the new angle stop valve it looks like I really need to switch out the angle stop for 1/2 at supply x 1/2 at compression end or I won't be able to put in the T connectors I need.

What am I missing here? As I understand it 3/8 may refer to either OD or ID depending on the type of tubing? I tried every size of PEX and CPVC I could find at the big box store. I do not want copper as I will need to make a turn or two.

What is a simple solution for this issue? Is it best to switch out the angle stop valves with 1/2 x 1/2? If so what size PEX and/or CPVC will fit ? The help at the store was more confused than I.
Lastly, why does supply to sink seem to be 1/2 to 3/8 and back to 1/2. Why didn't the former homeowner just keep all 1/2. I am new to plumbing and really need help on this.

The Shark Bites are way easier than sweating a connection but compatibility seems to be an issue even though Shark Bite says it will work with PEX and CPVC.

Plumber Man

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would remove the new Sharkbite shut off valves in your basement, replace them with SharkBite couplings and run 1/2 PEX into the kitchen cabinet. Install a 1/2x1/2x1/4 and a 1/2x1/2x3/8 inline Sharkbite Tee's in the sink cabinet and reinstall the shutoff valves just above them on the end of the pex.

Attachments

• IMG_20161214_160823.jpg
    IMG_20161214_160823.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 163
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks