Why does drywall work in a Kerdi Shower?

Users who are viewing this thread

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
I used Hardi on all the wet side walls of my shower. Green board is on the dry side of the same walls. I covered the Hardi with Regard, so mines still shit anyways.

Can someone pass me the popcorn please?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Here's what one fellow worte: Bought it ... called Schluter for a couple of questions relating to steam shower application...and guess what! All warranties are OFF (as in null and void) when purchased online.

What a scam!
It's not like they don't tell you this upfront - IF you look at the company's website, it's right there on the first page. The reason for an authorized dealer is that you have a chance of someone there being able to guide you in the proper use of the material...just like when you buy a grey market item (a camera, watch, etc.) the company, I don't care if it is Nikon, Cannon, Rolex, etc...they will not warranty the item.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Is my assumption above correct, or am I overlooking something? In short, I can rely on waterproofing the exposed side, but will hardi be better than drywall in this scenario?

thanks
Leo

View attachment 23233

The only company that has a tested and approved method of building a shower with drywall as the substrate is Schluter with Kerdi. NO other methods have been tested and approved. Depending on how long and how big a leak that might occur, neither Hardie nor drywall may be enough...the underlying wood would rot out. Drywall doesn't immediately fail, you have to soak it. If there's enough to soak it, your structure is at risk.

How many people build their house to be tolerant of a pipe leak? Nobody. Think of all of the water pipes in the walls and ceilings, beneath kitchen and bathroom sinks, toilets, etc. You test that as well before you close it up and you don't waterproof the walls and ceiling around where they run, either.

If you cannot tolerate the possibility that something could break, build it a different way and protect yourself...but, a properly built Kerdi shower does not leak, now, or in the future. Any shower, improperly built can lead to structure damage and necessitate a tearout and rebuild.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I used Hardi on all the wet side walls of my shower. Green board is on the dry side of the same walls. I covered the Hardi with Regard, so mines still shit anyways.

Can someone pass me the popcorn please?

Custom Building Products has specific instructions on how to use RedGard as a waterproofing layer in a shower. If you follow their instructions carefully and have good workmanship, it can work. Personally, I prefer a sheet membrane. RedGard applied too thin or too thick or with a pinhole is less than ideal.

DougB

Reaction score
It's not like they don't tell you this upfront - IF you look at the company's website, it's right there on the first page. The reason for an authorized dealer is that you have a chance of someone there being able to guide you in the proper use of the material...just like when you buy a grey market item (a camera, watch, etc.) the company, I don't care if it is Nikon, Cannon, Rolex, etc...they will not warranty the item.

Hey man - it's not a camera, not a car, it's some damn fabric that comes off a roller in a factory.

So I'm supposed to go to a web site? A warranty is a warranty. If it's installed wrong, then it's on me.

However, if I have installed the product many times, I still have to buy it from an autorized dealer to get the warranty? - which I assume nobody has ever met their spec - thus they have yet to pay a single claim. The only way for the product to fail is if the material is deffective.

It's a scam Mr Red Sneaker!

DougB

Reaction score
How many people build their house to be tolerant of a pipe leak? Nobody.

I considered it with the three showers I have built. I considered that there is a possibility that perhaps the shower arm (threaded into the drop ear ell) could leak, same for tub spout connection, or a mixing valve. Cement board won't be a problem. Also I was fortunate that I could put an access panel behind the shower valves.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I considered it with the three showers I have built. I considered that there is a possibility that perhaps the shower arm (threaded into the drop ear ell) could leak, same for tub spout connection, or a mixing valve. Cement board won't be a problem. Also I was fortunate that I could put an access panel behind the shower valves.
If the leak happens long enough before you notice it, you'll have wood rot, and probably damage to the ceilings below. The ceilings below will probably be the first you notice it if it doesn't leak out onto the floor of that room. And, that does not mean you'd have a failure in the wall assembly...most of it would run down to the floor, and in between, there's a chance it would evaporate...drywall sitting in water damages it faster than a bit of spray while you're actually showering.

DougB

Reaction score
Look - I don't question the effectiveness of Kerdi. I'm sure it's a quality product.

The rub is that there are products (like cement board) that are inherently moisture resistant - that cost very little more than drywall - which has no moisture resistance. So you sorta have an extra level of insurance - risk advoidance.

You want to take the risk - fine. But for me, the 'ease' of drywall is not worth my percieved risk.

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
JW said:
So now Roberto you have been here on Terry's form a good 40 plus days. Do you now see why I battle him so much?

Yeap. -- combined with other threads on the same subject ---> what a waste of time < ---- .

Dhagin

builder:anti-builder
Reaction score
Regarding this site being frequented by DIYers- I agree. These days, anyone with a computer or phone can access any of this info and learn from it. Hopefully, the main thing they leave with is this:

Always follow the local building codes & laws, and the manufacturers installation instructions with whatever product you use. If there's a conflict between any of these - and there frequently is - ask or hire a pro to sort it out for you.

At least some of us are Pro's here and have been in business for decades. Some pro's maintain their edge through continuing education with the manufacturers, local code authorites, forums like this, etc... Most times, we can help folks sort the wheat from the chaff... but not always. The other thing folks should take away is that many here have their own opinions of things formed through direct experience over the course of many years or decades, and that each opinion may be different from others' opinions, AND valid as well. This last part is often the most difficult to grasp, yet is most important to remember. :)

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
The condensed answer to the Op thread is - Kerdi is providing a reliable , efficient and constant protection against water in liquid or vapor state , regardless of the approved substrate.--

The substrate is in question here , not Kerdi. Experience and other technical documentations say drywall is NOT to be use in a wet area.

It is just to easy -- the word easy is like a plague -- to rely on other trades for the safety of your tiled shower or wet area and say I am protected because I installed the Kerdi.

Properly build conditions exist only when you monitor the build constantly, which is not possible most of the time.

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
I guess John , is like only looking at one mfg recommendation, without considering the other ones.

Selling a high priced membrane over the cheapest product -- as substrate -- is the " winning " combination!:rolleyes:

Jim Mills

Reaction score
I still beg the question: If I install Kerdi over CMU, and the shower develops a leak, what have I gained by using the CMU? I'm not necessarily on the side of using drywall, I am just curious.

Loudgonzo

Reaction score
I still beg the question: If I install Kerdi over CMU, and the shower develops a leak, what have I gained by using the CMU? I'm not necessarily on the side of using drywall, I am just curious.

The way I'm looking at it is if my valve leaks, and I realize this due to a puddle on the dry/opposite side of shower, I can access the leak from the back side and repair it, the hardi will have gotten wet/damp, but could still be OK after it drys, where as if the sheetrock got wet, it's more likely that it is damaged beyond repair and require complete teardown tile and all.

leo

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
No debonding or major dammage to the integrity of the assembly .

If debonding at the connection of the membrane with the CBU happens, then there is really no point in using the membrane ! A question to be asked to Sch.Tec.Dep. if curious.

Dammage due to a faulty valve or etc. can be more costly than the cost of the CBU-- read difference in between--.

Loudgonzo

Reaction score
No debonding or major dammage to the integrity of the assembly .

If debonding at the connection of the membrane with the CBU happens, then there is really no point in using the membrane ! A question to be asked to Sch.Tec.Dep. if curious.

Dammage due to a faulty valve or etc. can be more costly than the cost of the CBU-- read difference in between--.

Debonding of membrane to substrate is a different issue not discussed in this thread. I'm actually waiting for input on this very topic at this thread

https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?54202-Inspection-Check-List-for-Kerdi-Shower-Builds&p=407181&viewfull=1#post407181

A faulty valve or a bad connection is just that, but the point I'm asking is that using cbu can mitigate OTHER problems that drywall can't.

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Drywall will be dammaged beyond the point of safety for the assembly.

CBU will keep the integrity even if fully soaked, which probably will not happen without visible signs or leaks.

Dhagin

builder:anti-builder
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong fellas, I think backer board under Kerdi is a fine idea - AND, backer board is an approved substrate by the manufacturer, as are many other options. Don't tell anyone, but I've done it myself. Backers like Permabase/Dalbase install similar to drywall and don't cost that much more if you're inclined to go that route. I got no problem with that. :)

Carry on. :)

Jim Mills

Reaction score
All good answers as to why use CMU as opposed to drywall. Interesting that it is so promoted by Schluter & JB forum. I see my local Home Depot now carries
Schluter products. I see that as a negative towards the company & their products. The DIY'ers will ruin their reputation IMO. Interesting fact that in Europe, modified Mortars are used to seam Kerdi.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
You guys Crack me up.

This is the kind of backing to have in the shower.

Crack_.jpg

Better when Wet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks