Why are soap suds coming up out of my washing machine drain pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

red13

Reaction score
I hope someone here might be able to help me. I have lived in my house for almost 3 years now and it is a new house. Within the last 2-3 weeks soap suds have begun backing up out of the washing machine drain in the wall. You can run just water and there will be no drain problem at all. We have tried different brands of soap and different amounts. The overflow of suds occurs when the machine is pumping out any remaining water before the rinse cycle and spin cycle. When it pumps mainly water it flows fine, but when it pumps very little water and mostly air is when the suds come up. I called several appliance repairmen that I know and they all thought that the drain line might be clogged. My plummer came out and ran a 6' snake through the drain and a 75' through the cleanout. He said he really didn't feel anything and thought it was clear. Low and behold it foamed up again. I traced the roof vent line for the washing machine and ran the water from the hose down the vent (don't know if that was bad to do or not, but no leaks in the vent). It drained fine, so I do not think it was clogged. Ran the machine again and suds came out. I cut the sheet rock and found that I have a 2" drain line about 24" long from the top of the drain to the bottom of the p-trap. From the p-trap it angles up and over to a 2" vertical pipe. At this connection there is a 1-1/2" vent above the fitting and a 2" drain pipe below the fitting that goes down into the slab. About 4" below this fitting there is a laundry room wall cleanout. I estimate the length of the vent pipe to be about 24' to the roof. with a 45 degree fitting to go around a rafter at about 10'. I could lower the p-trap to be around 34" long, but I would have to put the cleanout above the p-trap level. Would that be bad to do and do you think by adding 8" to 10" of length might solve the suds problem? The one thing that has bothered both the plumber and myself is that this happened all the time at my last house (which was also a new house) but never at the house we rented before that. I was concerned when we moved into this house but I did not have a problem till now. I will try and insert a picture here but if it doesn't work, I can email a picture of the pipes if that will help. If its not the plumbing, then does anyone know a good appliance repair website that may know what is wrong with my washing machine?

Thanks in advance.

red13-01.jpg

Attachments

• Pipes2.bmp
    35.2 KB · Views: 4,813
Last edited by a moderator:

Bob's HandyGuy

Reaction score
I'm wondering why, after 3 years, this problem began. I know that water temperature affects its suds forming ability. Did someone change the rinse temp? Did you experiment with different rinse water temps? Also, on a Whirlpool, a water spray accompanies the spin cycle. This would add water to remaining suds. Do you have this feature and is it working? It seems the suds do not have the weight to displace the trap water. Maybe you could put a reducer atop the standpipe so that suds will have more force behind them.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I had a repair once where the 3" main waste line had fallen over time and was sagging. When I restrapped the line with grade, the problem with soap suds went away.

Last edited:

red13

Reaction score
More information

Thanks all, the washer is a 10 year old Amana stainless series. I replaced the motor 5 months ago, but it did not cause any foam up. As far as settings go, it only has the three basic temp settings and typical wash cycles. I called the local Maytag shop, and they seem to think it can only be the lines. I checked on the pipe measurements and they appear to be within code, but code alway work?

I appreciate all your input.
Thanks

Eatspam

Reaction score
ok, this is really weird - i am having the same exact problem. I just moved into this house abouyt a month ago. No signs of previous leaking by the washer drain. The Amana (with stainless tub) works fine and expels all the water after the wash and rinse cycle but just when the spin cycle starts, it seems to create a large amount of bubbles in the drain and they back up.
I have checked the vent, snaked the drain (25' snake - no clogs that I could detect), and have runs stumped several plumbers and washer repairmen.

A question to the original poster - if you run the washer with no clothes and no soap, is there soap suds in the water during the wash and rinse cycle? There is in mine, not a lot, but some. That seems odd. I was told by one repairman that maybe the washer has built up some soap residue or maybe some other type of soap was accidental washed or spilled in the machine and that is causing it. I am now running several loads through it with no soap and no clothes to see if i can 'cleanse' the machine. i am also going to try switching detergents. I have a plumber coming out tomorrow (unreleated problem) and he said he would add a short extension (maybe 6") to the drain pipe. i am also going to try calling Amana tomorrow.

Any other suggestion?

red13

Reaction score
Eatspam, no, my washer does not create suds with water only. After stumping my plumber, 3 appliance parts places and 4 appliance repairmen (including the regional Maytag guy) I dug deep into the Amana web site and found a possible solution. For around $3.50 I found that if you buy Maytag Part #40008101 it may very well fix the problem. It is a standpipe adapter. They must not be to common. The appliance repair guy that I always use had never heard of one even though he did have it in stock when I gave him the part number. Basically it is a piece of rubber that fits into the top of the drainpipe. It has tapered rings around it that have slots that alternate every other ring (kind of like the way you place piston rings on an engine) that still let air vent out.

I've used it for a week now and was going to wait another before I posted.
So far, each time I run the washer I get maybe enough suds out of the top to fill half a teaspoon. My plumber checked our local code and said we can still add a few inches to the pipe and maybe smooth out some of the curves, but if the $3.50 piece works this well then I am gonna let stay.

I still have to wonder that the builder may have messed something up somewhere though. After all, the first time we ran the washer in this new house, water came out from under the toilets and back up in the bath tubs and shower. They some how forgot to put a cap on the sewer cleanout at the sidewalk (local restriction) and placed a sprinkler valve box cover on top of the hole. The water line was also pinched in the slab for my rear hose bib. If you need more info on the part, let me know.

Eatspam

Reaction score
Update: I took the opposite approach. I had a friend who recently 'upgraded' his washingmachine and had his old working one in his garage. I swapped our nice amana with an old stinky maytag and low and behold (although just two loads so far) - no suds. Could this really be an amana problem and not plumbing. Looks that way on my end (so far atleast).

Pammie

Reaction score
I realize that this is an older thread, but I have the same problem! The irony is that my washer is ALSO an Amana stainless tub model. We had no problems when it was draining into a utility tub. However, when we updated our laundy room, we had an outlet box put in. Now we have suds coming out of the box, but only when the washer pumps as it rinses andspins. Is there anyone out there who has solved this problem? Is it the washer? I hate to buy a new washer and have the same problem!

Pammie

Reaction score
Did you ever solve this problem? I have an Amana stainless steel tub. We just put an outlet box in for draining and there are suds everywhere during the rinse/spin cycle! HELP!

Wondering

Reaction score
It isn't because you have an Amana washer. My sister had one for 12 years and never had a problem. You could switch to an HE detergent and that should help solve your problem with less suds.

I had this same problem 20 years ago with a Maytag washer. Never a problem unless you did use too much soap and it would run out either while doing the spray rinse or during the drain after the rinse. Suds was just backed up in the standpipe and when the pump kicked on to drain the suds would overflow into the floor till the water flushed the pipe out.

Asked the appliance guy about it and he said Yeah that he sees that sometimes and the way he fixed it was to put either black tape or duct tape around the washer pipe and the standpipe this way the suds couldnt get out. I know the plumbers will not agree with this but it worked fine for years after doing that with no problems at all, and no more suds in the floor.

I now have a front load machine with the drainline that has the grooves around the end of the pipe so it pretty much seals itself around the inside of the standpipe, but with those machines you use less soap and the HE type, plus there is way less water. Hope this helps.

Luann

Reaction score
Amana Stainless here too!

I used a 4 inch paint roller and put it into the standpipe and put the hose through it creating a nice tight fit. No more soap suds coming up at the end of the spin cycle. I've heard that you can get a compression fitting that does the same thing. I kind of like the paint roller look!!!

Hope that is useful!
Luann

justhinkin

Reaction score
Three theories of suds in the drain -

Maybe this will help?
(ATTACH - 11685)

I think this problem persists, for many people.
My mom's machine is doing it right now.
The plumber couldn't fix it, but he put on the gray rubber collar,
which reduced the outflow by 80-90%, but it still needs to be wrapped with a towel.
I like KULTULZ's example, the almost-sealed fitting and the smooth black hose.
I bet Luann's paint roller works pretty well too.
But I just want people (including washer mfrs) to start thinking about how to prevent suds generation in the drain
instead of trying to seal it in, which isn't quite working in my case.
The machine usually doesn't make suds inside; it's carefully designed not to.
"Inside" would mean before the drain pump, assuming there is one.

The pump might well make suds in the drain hose when it over-runs and sucks air
and pushes bubbles thru the soapy water still standing in the ascending part of the drain hose.
I guess then a smaller diameter of drain-hose might help. (theory1)
The black one shown in the KULTULZ photo is definitely smaller than the big white corrugated hose I've got now.

I'm wondering whether my corrugations make suds when the discharge is running fast. (theory2)
KULTULZ's black hose would be smooth inside.

I'm wondering if the exact angle of the hose end in the mouth of the drain standpipe matters - a flying
arc of water splashing into soapy water below might entrain lots of air, making excess suds. (theory3)
In K's photo the tip of that black hose, inside the standpipe, might be angled against the left wall by the springiness of its 180-degree bend.
I think that might help; the water stream would be hugging the pipe wall instead of plunging headlong into the soapy water below.

All these things can change without being noticed any time the machine is moved or serviced.
The fixes which would help most are different depending on which of these 3 theories is right.
It seems like a messed up design situation.

Last edited:

Mama Goose

Reaction score
This conversation has run for 11 years. That is certainly a long time. I too just started having the same issue. And, I have an Amana. It is 15 years old; and, the problem just started.
I had two plumbers out and they ran a snake to find nothing. They both ran the machine with no clothes. No suds formed. As soon as I put clothes in the washing machine and ran a load the same problem happened. For now I have a 'work around'. I place a small amount of clothing in the tub and run it on 'quick wash' with VERY little detergent. There are some suds. I just sop them up with towels that I have wrapped around the pipe.
The next wash I run 'on quick wash' without soap. No suds.
I think I will get the smooth hose and attach it to my washing machine and see if that helps.

Reach4

Reaction score
Mama Goose, new washer standpipes are 2 inch ID, but old ones were usually 1.5 inch ID. It may be that your existing standpipe could be extended higher, although there is an upper limit on that. How about measuring your standpipe.

Use low-sudsing detergent, but I have to believe you are already doing that. These are normally marked "HE", and they are very common. http://news.tide.com/press-release/tide-corporate/tide-introduces-new-standard-he-detergents—he-turbo-clean claims that some HE detergents suds less than others. If you have soft water, you should probably use less detergent.

Last edited:

Lfod

Reaction score
Funny, not! Same issue here with fairly new speed queen. Ran 20' snake all through line and seems to be clear. Washer cycles with just water are no issue, add HE soap and we get suds overflow. I too am curious about the additional washer water outlet PPM along with corrugated hose. Never had this suds issue until the speed queen showed up. The standpipe is 1.5-2.0. There has got to be some type of air back pressure forcing suds back up. Septic is due anyway, so having that done in couple days, will see if that results in any airflow change. Any more ideas are welcome.

Jacobsond

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.nielsenelectric.com
How much soap are you using? Do you even measure? No more that 2 tablespoons of HE soap in your front load. Thats all that is needed. Do you see soap suds while washing? If so to much soap. With the new HE soaps if you see more than a tiny bit of foam your using to much. You should run a citris based washer cleaner with hot water to try to clean out the build up. If you would ever take out the tub in a washer (I have on many) you would disgusted on how much soap buildup there is. Don't buy cheap soap. Less soap is best.Use warm water. My greasy cloths come out clean using 3 tablespoons of soap in a 20+ yr old Maytag top load.

Reach4

Reaction score
ever had this suds issue until the speed queen showed up. The standpipe is 1.5-2.0. There has got to be some type of air back pressure forcing suds back up. Septic is due anyway, so having that done in couple days, will see if that results in any airflow change. Any more ideas are welcome.

If this gets better after the septic pumping, that will be great. Suds would be a really nice warning to have.

Ask the septic guy for his opinion. Was the tank too full, and you want to increase the pumping frequency? Good thing to know. Was the level of the liquid in the tank normal? I would like to think the operator would tell you such things without your asking, but I don't know.

Now you say "The standpipe is 1.5-2.0". I think you mean it is one or the other. Measure the ID. Note that newer requirements are for 2 ID. I am not suggesting you replace your 1.5 inch standpipe, but understand the increased specification to 2 inches came about because newer washers were overloading the 1.5 in some cases. So you will use less detergent with the new washer. Fine. If detergent adjustment and septic pumping not sufficient, what is the height of your standpipe? You might be able to extend that despite the "30" on the picture. Some codes, including NH, permit 42 inches. New Hampshire uses the International Plumbing Code (IPC) .
index.php

Last edited:

BSA

Reaction score
Amana Stainless here too!

I used a 4 inch paint roller and put it into the standpipe and put the hose through it creating a nice tight fit. No more soap suds coming up at the end of the spin cycle. I've heard that you can get a compression fitting that does the same thing. I kind of like the paint roller look!!!

Hope that is useful!
Luann

May 2016 - A few years later and I have just had the same problem. We have been in this house for 15 years, just bought a Speed Queen washer and suds are coming up from the drain with each wash. Never had this problem before. I had a 4 inch paint roller on hand and tried it. It works!!! Thank you Luann!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks