Why am I getting no water whatsoever from all of my hot water faucets in the house?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by jennymaxgirl, Nov 30, 2011.

1. jennymaxgirl

jennymaxgirl New Member

From time to time, I will turn on a faucet in my house and there will be no water coming from the hot water faucet. It will run a very small amount of cold water and then cease to flow any water whatsoever. I usually leave the hot water faucet on with no running water, and eventually there is a loud 'kicking-in' noise and then it will begin to flow water at full force, warm water that turns hot. It has been going on for a couple of years and hasn't caused any leaks or damage yet, but I might be selling our house and would like to figure our this frustrating problem before we go.

Anyone have any insight?

Many thanks,
    Jennifer
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

I would investigate...probably just replace....the shut-off valve for cold water INTO the water heater. If that doesn't fix it...you may need Dick Tracy.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Do you have city water or a well?
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Sometimes the water heater will have check valves built into the top connections.
    Those can fail.