Why am I getting no water whatsoever from all of my hot water faucets in the house?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by jennymaxgirl, Nov 30, 2011.

1. jennymaxgirl

jennymaxgirl New Member

Nov 30, 2011
    British Columbia
    From time to time, I will turn on a faucet in my house and there will be no water coming from the hot water faucet. It will run a very small amount of cold water and then cease to flow any water whatsoever. I usually leave the hot water faucet on with no running water, and eventually there is a loud 'kicking-in' noise and then it will begin to flow water at full force, warm water that turns hot. It has been going on for a couple of years and hasn't caused any leaks or damage yet, but I might be selling our house and would like to figure our this frustrating problem before we go.

Anyone have any insight?

Many thanks,
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Aug 31, 2004
    San Diego
    I would investigate...probably just replace....the shut-off valve for cold water INTO the water heater. If that doesn't fix it...you may need Dick Tracy.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona
    Do you have city water or a well?
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Aug 17, 2004
    Bothell, Washington
    Sometimes the water heater will have check valves built into the top connections.
    Those can fail.