Which way do faucet nobs turn?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by eagleeye, Dec 23, 2007.

1. eagleeye

eagleeye New Member

Can someone please tell me what is the correct direction for the hot and cold faucet knobs to turn on/off. This is for my bathroom sink. It's a Delta faucet and the hot and cold knobs are round.

I always thought hot was clockwise, and cold was counterclockwise.

Seems like a simple question, but I've been searching google for half an hour and can't find out.

Thanks
    Jeff
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

It's both ways.
    With Delta, you can pull the cartridge and make it go either way.

With levers, they normally open toward the middle.
    With knobs, they can open counter clockwise, but not always.
  3. Lefty loosey

Righty tighty

But back in the day of separate hots and colds....

hot turned clockwise to on

cold turned counter-clockwise to on

reverse both to turn off
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Huh?

hot turned clockwise to on

cold turned counter-clockwise to on

That would make lever handles open away from you. Mine always were just the opposite of that and only with lever handles. Round handles ALWAYS opened counter clockwise, unless they come from one of the specialty companies who send all valves out as if they had lever handles.