Which way do faucet knobs turn?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by eagleeye, Dec 23, 2007.

1. eagleeye

eagleeye New Member

Can someone please tell me what is the correct direction for the hot and cold faucet knobs to turn on/off. This is for my bathroom sink. It's a Delta faucet and the hot and cold knobs are round.

I always thought hot was clockwise, and cold was counterclockwise.

Seems like a simple question, but I've been searching google for half an hour and can't find out.

Thanks
    Jeff

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    It's both ways.
    With Delta, you can pull the cartridge and make it go either way.

With levers, they normally open toward the middle.
    With knobs, they can open counter clockwise, but not always.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Dunbar Plumbing

Dunbar Plumbing Master Plumber

Service Plumber, Outdoor Temperature Relief Owner
    Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
    Lefty loosey

Righty tighty

But back in the day of separate hots and colds....

hot turned clockwise to on

cold turned counter-clockwise to on

reverse both to turn off

Micajah likes this.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    Huh?

hot turned clockwise to on

cold turned counter-clockwise to on

That would make lever handles open away from you. Mine always were just the opposite of that and only with lever handles. Round handles ALWAYS opened counter clockwise, unless they come from one of the specialty companies who send all valves out as if they had lever handles.

6. Micajah

Micajah New Member

Dunbar Plumbing has it right for setting up knobs and cross handles. If you are using levers it would be opposite, the handles would point at you when on/ open. Swapping the valves is how you would correct the rotation between knob/ cross and levers. Most of the instructions do not mention this.

7. hj

Plumber
    quote; Dunbar Plumbing has it right for setting up knobs and cross handles

Huh? He has it right for the cold water using round handles, but for everything else it is incorrect. The only time they are different is if it is a lever handle on a bath tub wall mount faucet, THEN the handles rotate backwards so they rotate upwards to turn on so heavy handles, or loose stems, do NOT cause the valve to turn on by themselves. Some valves have an external device to change the rotation without removing the stems.

8. plumber69

plumber69 Member

What happend is a handy man came and fix it and you got used to it. Both can turn clockwise. One can turn opposite from other.

9. plumber69

plumber69 Member

Often there is a hot and cold cartridge

10. hj

Plumber
    When I find handles turning the wrong way, I ask the customer if they want me to correct it. Otherwise, they will try to operate the faucet and think it is broken.