Which part has failed in the pressure train?

Users who are viewing this thread

jonk

Reaction score
System: well pump, wellxtrol bladder thingy
well -> pump -> pressure switch -> gauge

Symptoms: water has begun cutting off completely during showering

Recent Action: i went down to look at system. noticed that pressure was bottomed out (i had set it up years ago to be smth like 30-70 (probably not a good idea, eh? :eek: )). then as pump kicked on, i was horrified to witness it sail right past 60, and seemingly peg the pressure gauge (90psi?) :eek:

I read how to set the pressure high-cutoff screws on this site (thanks!), but it seemed to have no affect. it appears that the switch only reluctantly closes the gap if i tap on the springs with a pliers (for high-side cutoff), or if i try to "pinch" the lower plate that the springs rest against to get the low-side to trigger the switch to move.

i also checked the low pressure setting -- i think -- by opening faucets to allowing the water to flow, i witnessed the pressure drop. at first, a pretty consistent rate between 90+ and 40. it hovered at 40, moved more slowly downward. eventually, maybe around 20, it plummeted almost immediately to 0 psi. :eek:

in a normal wellxtroll system, is there a way to check the bladder pressure via the pressure gauge as I think I have done?

so, is the pressure switch bad?
is the blagdder system in need of maintenance?

Thanks in advance for the expert advice i see in this forum.

ps: I'm off to the store to get a replacement fuse. I accidentally tapped a live spot and did a nice job nearly arc-welding the plier head. :eek:

Pumpman

Pump Sales
Reaction score
It sounds like the tubing/fittings that are attached to the pressure switch are plugged up. When this happens, the switch can't see the pressure ands cutin/cutout properly. Turn off the power and remove the switch and clean.
You check the precharge in the bladder by completely draining the tank and checking it with a tire gauge at the air valve on top. Correct pressure is 2 psi less than cutin pressure.
Ron

Speedbump

Reaction score
You mentioned a way of checking the tank pressure without a gauge. When you saw it plummet to zero from 20, that is the air pressure in the tank. I prefer to do it that way. It takes the error out of using two different gauges. When the bag hits bottom in the tank, no more water is left to leave the tank. Which makes system pressure drop to zero immediately.

bob...

jonk

Reaction score
thanks for the tips. i did the following:

1. removed old pressure switch.
  2. cleaned out a bunch of disgusting seemingly iron/rust gunk (i'll post about this separately)
  3. examined and wondered about the integrity of the blackish contacts, didn't know if filing them clean and smooth again would be good or not, didn't even know if they looked okay or not
  4. decided to go to store and look for new switch for:
    • price
    • comparison of integrity of contacts
    • certainty of a new switch working
  5. decided to purchase a switch that automatically enforces a 20 psi delta, and has one adjustment.
  6. it was preset for 30-50, but i raised it to 40-60 (seems a struggle to get good pressure in the master bedroom 3 floors above the pressure bladder)
  7. will use old switch as a backup

BTW: I checked at what point the bladder pressure seemed to plummet. It appeared to decay to ~26psi, then plummet as the water ran out.
  1. i assume that means my tank air pressure is ~26 psi?
  2. is that an okay pressure?
  3. is it supposed to be more like this?
    Code:
    [CENTER]air press. = min. press. - 2psi
    ? or ?
    min press = air press + 2[/CENTER]

One minor bummer... i wasn't sure how tight to screw the 2" nipple into the pressure switch, and also into the "T" -- i guess i didn't do it tight enough (and i was too lazy to go out to the barn to get my teflon pipe tape), as i now have a drip every 15 seconds. however, i am thinking it will clog up soon enough with whatever that rusty gunk is :eek: Maybe i'll get up the gumption to unwire the switch, tighten it up, use teflon tape, and rewire it :(

Thanks again!

-- jon

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tank

If the air pressure is too high the "air bag will hit the bottom of the tank and give zero pressure", but if the bag has failed then the air bag is pushed to the top of the tank and the system pressure will still be zero. The rapid pressure changes can be due to a lack of air pressure, too much air pressure, a bad tank, a bad pressure switch, a plugged gauge/switch tube, etc. The exact cause cannot be diagnosed without being there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks