Which materials make the best soaker tub?

Users who are viewing this thread

Annanvy

Reaction score
I am looking for a reasonably priced standard size (60" x 30") bath tub that would enable me to have an occasional soak. I would like a tub with a water depth of 10â€-15â€. My biggest problem is determining which materials would retain the most i.e. cast iron, americast, bootzcast, or acrylic.
I am hoping to purchase something that is readily available so that we could install it by Monday (Columbus Day). That being said I have looked into the following, but I haven't gotten a chance to looked at everything out there. So, please help. Thank you. :D

Bootz Industries Ahola 011-7000
60†x 30†x 14â€
Porcelain enameled steel encased with SYNIRON 2 an engineered composite material designed to improve heat retention, reduce sound, and prevent handling and transportation damage.
Water depth 9.25â€
Water capacity 39 gal
$259 Available
http://www.*********.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Kohler Villager
60†x 30¼†x 14â€
Cast Iron
Water depth 8⅝†(8.625â€)
Water capacity 33 gal
$295 Available

American Standard Princeton AmeriCast
60†x 30†x 14â€
AmeriCast
Water depth 9½â€
Water capacity 42 Gal
Special Order

Kohler Devonshire
60" x 32" x 20"
Acrylic
Water depth 14â€
Water capacity 60 gal
$379 Available

Kohler Archer
60" x 32" x 19"
Acrylic
Water depth 15â€
Water capacity 58 gal
$585.20 Kohler Special Order
Require Kohler Drain

Kohler
Bellwether
60" x 32" x 15½"
Cast Iron
Water depth 11- 5/16â€
Water capacity 44 gal
$810 Kohler Special Order

Kohler Mendota
59½†x 32†x 16¼â€
Cast Iron
Water depth 10-7/8â€
Water capacity 45 gal
$1070.75 Kohler Special Order

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Of those, the Kohler Archer and Devonshire would be nice.
If you really want to soak. If you're just going to shower, then the others would be fine.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
That is a good tub, but I think the old or new slipper type clawfoots types really give comfort and back support. Especially look for length, so you are not forced to keep dumping water on your knees that are scrunched up.

About materials, Cast iron seems aesthetically better suited to john deere bulldozer engines than to a place to lay your naked body. I think those autopsy tables are cast iron or SS.

I would look for the americast so called, or for acrylic or all its variations, then finally copper.

The romans preferred marble, but the ones I see could rather give you a month in Tuscany with brekfast in bed for the cost.

Slipper in acrylic, thats my vote.

Last edited:

Annanvy

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I also forgot to mention that I am 5' tall and my significant other is 5'10". So, comfortability should be considered.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks