Which brand of PEX should I buy?

Users who are viewing this thread

thaugen

Reaction score
Not wanting to start up any stuff, just never worked with it before and hoping for advice. Buy whatever Lowes/Home Depot have? I'm doing one bathroom with a shower, a tub and one sink, so I'd rather not sink a lot of money into tools. In Washington State. Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
Lowes carries Apollo, and that is "PEX B". It will give good bang for your buck.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are three methods to make pex...the original (and still the best in features, but often the most expensive) is pex-A. Pex-b is a little less expensive and pex-c even more so. The major differences are in their flexibility and minimum bending radius where pex-A is the most flexible and strongest with the best memory. It is the only one that can be repaired if kinked without cutting the kink out and installing a fitting. It also has the least overall flow restrictions because to install a fitting, you must use the expander tool to fit it in. On -b, and -c, the fitting will slide into the end of the tubing, so it has to be smaller. Keep in mind that if you have a tub spout, you cannot use pex to run from the valve to it or you'll have issues...that must be done with copper. You can often pick up the expander tool on ebay and resell it for not much expense. It might be possible to rent one. Crimping isn't hard, but is potentially more error prone. It is easier to cut the crimp and reuse things if you mess up. With the expansion system, you generally need to cut it off, and if you're really careful to not score the fitting, you can cut the tubing off and reuse the fitting, but it may be safer to use a new one. If you mess up the tubing when cutting the crimp, you have to cut that off, too.

Bcarlson78248

Reaction score
I used PEX B to replace most of my copper lines in the basement (which also fed the kitchen), and it was relatively easy to work with. I bought a few fittings locally, but online was so much cheaper for PEX and the fittings that I tried to put together a good list of supplies and make a couple large orders.

You also need to decide whether you want to use a manifold and home-runs to each fixture, or just duplicate the layout for copper. I used two 8 port copper manifolds (hot and cold) with built-in 1/4 turn valves and mounted them behind a panel in the wall of the basement bath. I can now turn off the line to each fixture separately from that panel. My main plumbing lines were copper 3/4", so I used a 3/4" manifold and ran 1/2" PEX to each fixture.

Bruce

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks