Where to buy Flexcon

Users who are viewing this thread

Nitrors4

DIY Member
Reaction score
I guess I need to take the pump off and go fishing to figure out how deep it is. Right now I am in crunch mode trying to get the house done, so it will have to wait a couple more weeks.

Nitrors4

DIY Member
Reaction score
I have had my tank for a while, but been too busy with the house to install it. I did notice though it is different from my current tank.

Current tank has inlet for water up high and outlet down low.

New tank only has one inlet / outlet for water.

It seems pretty straight forward, but I hate to assume. So coming off the tank I would just run a T right? One side connection to the pump and then other to the house? Need any pressure relief valves or?????

Nitrors4

DIY Member
Reaction score
Thanks Bob, I figured that was the deal, but wanted to make sure.

FredC

Reaction score
Pipe size

As everyone has stated, you need to th eGPM that pump is putting out on that well. That can be done real easy using a 5 gal bucket, a ball valve, some PVC coming off the pump, and a watch with a second hand. Looked at your pics, this is something you can do in an hour .for about 10 bucs. Use 1 1/4 inch PVC and tee off your pipe to the tank with about 2ft of pipe, a tee with a pressure gage, then about 8" of pipe followed by the ball valve and 8" more pipe and a 90 ell. Measure the time it takes to fill the bucket at 45 psi and divide by 5. Do this three or 4 times and take an average. Now you know the GPM of your well at the pressure you used.

As for the pipe size going to your house in Texas 1000 ft away from the house, PVC is definitely your answer and hear are some pressure drop numbers to consider

1 " Schedule 40 PVC @ 12 GPM -3.36 PSI per 100 ft, @ 10 GPM 2.4 psi/100
1 1/4" Schedule 40 @ 12 GPM -0.89 psi per 100 ft, @ 10 GPM 0.63 psi/100
Galvanized 3/4" @ 10 10 GPM 16.46 psi per 100 ft
@ 5 GPM 4.56 psi per 100'

Fo those of ya'll that have never been here before, check out his pictures Texas hasn't been this green in years. My well in North Texas is 1 HP wit 1" 1/4" going to the house. Should you put the tank closer to th3e house, or maybe use a booster across that 100 ft.

Not a pro but an engineer

Nitrors4

DIY Member
Reaction score
Thanks Fred and Rancher. Is PE like PEX?

The house has come a long way since I posted all of those pictures, but my camera is packed. Yea I know not a good idea, but then again I was not doing much thinking at the time. Only one thing going through my mind. Get this crap packed and be done with it.

When I swap out tanks I figured I would see what my GPM are so I can decide the next course of action. At this point I am getting decent pressure in the house, much better than in the travel trailer (which is our temp home until the house is done). I got the wife off my back by finishing the downstairs bathroom, so she can shower and do all her other business in there and she loves it. That means the tank swap moved down on the priority list.

I will let you know when I finally get some updates.

You are right it is nice here in Texas right now. Starting to cool off in the mornings which is nice as well. All I know is I am tired of working in the house when it is 90+ out. I worked upstairs for a little over 4 hours one day and is was 154 up there. Made me sick for two days.

Nitrors4

DIY Member
Reaction score
So PE is probably less expensive than PEX? WHen searching for it is there anything I need to watch out for?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
nitrors4 said:
Pump is above ground about 1000 feet from the house. The tank sits right next to the pump. Well was already on the property so I decided to use it and save 6k.

With the pump and tank 1000 ft from the house with a 3/4" line, you really need two tanks; and you probably don't need a CSV. The tank at the house will deliver pressure from storage so you don't lose pressure from the line drop whenever someone runs water.

The pressure switch at the well should be set to shut off at the highest pressure that the pump will reliably deliver, and to start near the lowest pressure you want at the house tank. The tank at the house should not be larger than the tank at the well.

Nitrors4

DIY Member
Reaction score
You are some smart people! I never thought of putting another tank at the house, but it make perfect sense.

Right now I think I am 40/60 at the tank by the Well. So I would go with a tank half the size at the house and set it to what? 30/50?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
nitrors4 said:
You are some smart people! I never thought of putting another tank at the house, but it make perfect sense.

Right now I think I am 40/60 at the tank by the Well. So I would go with a tank half the size at the house and set it to what? 30/50?

You don't need a pressure switch at the house. You should have the pressure switch at the well, with a tank. The second tank at the house will follow the tank at the well, but more slowly.

The system will work as follows:

The pump will fill the tank at the well to the shutoff point. Because of the small 3/4" pipe, the tank at the house will lag. When the pump shuts off, water will be drawn from the well tank until the pressures are equalized. The final pressure at the house will be lower than the switch stop setting.

You don't want the tank at the house to draw so much water that it will cause the pump to restart as a result of just filling the tank at the house. That is why the tank at the house should be not larger than the tank at the well. They can be the same size. A half-size tank will work but will not give you as much reserve at the house.

The precharge of the tank at the house should be the minimum pressure that you want at the house; maybe 30 psi. That will give you more reserve while waiting for the pump to deliver water to the house.

The precharge at the well tank should be 2 psi less than the START pressure setting of the pressure switch; 38 psi for a 40 to 60 psi setting. The STOP pressure setting at the well should be as high as the pump can reliably deliver with some margin, but not above 70 psi.

Last edited:

Nitrors4

DIY Member
Reaction score
I understand now.

Okay, so if I stay with my current setup which is 40/60 at the well tank the new tank I purchase needs to be precharged to 30 psi. Will the one at the house get to 60 psi?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
nitrors4 said:
I understand now.

Okay, so if I stay with my current setup which is 40/60 at the well tank the new tank I purchase needs to be precharged to 30 psi. Will the one at the house get to 60 psi?

The tank at the house will get to near 60 psi, but probably not all the way because it will always lag the tank at the pump. If the pump will deliver the pressure then you can set it to 40/70. That should give you at least 60 psi at the house.

The 30 psi precharge on the house tank will give you some extra volume available before you are completely dependent on the 3/4" line. The tank may be precharged higher (oten 38 psi) and you can use a tire gauge to bleed it down to the desired pressure.

If the tank at the well has a failed bladder, then it must be replaced AND you need the tank at the house to solve your low pressure problem at the end of the 1000 ft 3/4" line.

Nitrors4

DIY Member
Reaction score
Eventually I have to run new pipe, but that is going to take a lot of time and money I don't have right now. Wife really wants me to finish the house so we can move in. HEHE

Trust me building a 3000 sq ft house out of pocket and on your own takes a lot out of you. In the end it will be worth it though.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Trust me, when the wife takes her first shower and runs out of practically every ounce of pressure you can muster with those little tanks and that 1000 feet of 3/4" pipe, your going to wish you had changed the pipe.

bob...

Nitrors4

DIY Member
Reaction score
Right now the pressure in the shower is decent as long as no one else uses water. I finished the downstairs bathroom, so she is already showering in the house.

I have the PC144 I bought from you, so if I add another, that is a good amount of water to burn through. I think it would get me through the next few months that I need to focus on the house. My wife is super easy going, so she will not kill me. Hell she was taking 3 min showers in the trailer, so she is so happy to have the tankless water heater and decent pressure in the house. :D Give them crap then upgrade them to decent and they are in heaven.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Your doing better than me with that philosophy. Mine is already spoiled and there is no turning back!

I hate to turn down sales, but I honestly don't think the extra tank at the house is going to make enough difference to justify the cost. Especially if your planning on changing the pipe anyway down the road.

bob...

Nitrors4

DIY Member
Reaction score
I appriciate you telling me the truth. :)

I figured that once I did change out the pipe I could just move the second tank to the well for extra capacity. Still not worth the trouble and expense?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks