What's the difference between a Vent Tee and a Waste Tee?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by El Dorado, Oct 12, 2005.

1. El Dorado

El Dorado New Member

I need to lower (6 inches) the drain pipe under my kitchen sink because it is to high to accomodate my batch feed disposal. I went to the store to pick up some fittings, but wasn't sure which tee to get, so I got both. Does it matter which one I use?

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    [​IMG]

If you are lowering the kitchen drain, and the drain is vertical, you would use a Sanitary Tee.
    [​IMG]
    Sanitary Tee

A Santary Tee Wye would not be used in the vertical position for venting. It would create an "S" trap in that position.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    tees

A true "vent" tee, or elbow for that matter, will have square corners for its turns, without even the minimal sweep that a sanitary tee has.