What to do with tub/shower

Users who are viewing this thread

xd2005

Reaction score
A couple years back, we purchased a 1 bath home. From the beginning, I have not liked the bath/shower at all. The home is older, as is the tub. From my limited knowledge, I believe it is a cast iron tub, with some areas wearing off.

It seems for the shower backing they decided linoleum would do just fine. As I said, I don't like it a bit.

A picture can be seen here: http://www.brianfeller.com/pics/tub.jpg

I am hoping to be able to replace this without breaking the bank, as we are wanting to sell within the next year.

We had considered the "kits" you can find at the big box retailers for the shower surround, however, our corners are rounded and the kits are square corners, so that would not work.

What is the best, yet still economical solution?

Thanks,

Brian

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
My guess is that the round corners you see were done that way to accomodate the wall covering and that the corners of your tub are far more square than round and that a square-cornered surround kit might actually work. If you carefully remove part of that metal molding where the wall and tub meet, you will probably be able to do a little poking to confirm the actual shape of your tub's corners.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's a square tub, fitting into a square corner.
I've seen some rounded enclousures before, but those were done with Laminate.
They work pretty well really.
They bend the laminate into the corners.
I've never seen a metal strip there before though.

In Seattle, the laminate is installed by a place called TubCove

tub_ill.gif

Sincraft

Reaction score
If you are planning on selling, I would seriously think about removing that nasty metal trim...replace the hardware and put a shower door on the tub after it is properly and completely cleaned.

You have a big expensive project there. Tub drains, plumbing access, tear out and replacement are all the things you need to consider. By drain I mean, ensure that it's going to line up with the new product you purchase and thus needing plumbing access behind that wall to work everything up and hook things up. The tear out of the tile is a pain but the drywalling and putting the sides up will be the bigger pain.

Those tile are designer corner tile...your corners are square unless the contractor actually put a backer that isn't easily removed which I doubt.

You might want to consider a re-bath or bath fitter type of project where they put a 'cover' over your existing stuff but...those aren't cheap and don't look that great. But visit their showrooms, you might be happy with just hiding that 60's style tile at any rate.

xd2005

Reaction score
Terry - Sorry for my confusion, are you discussing what I currently have, or what I should look into doing?

Sincraft - those actually aren't tiles, that's (from what I can tell) a vinyl flooring of sorts. Whether it's some special stuff, I do not know, but from my limited knowledge, sure looks like vinyl flooring to me. No tiles.

I'm guessing some "bath-fitter" (not talking any brand here, just concept) of sorts may be my best bet, as it would be a quick solution. One concern I have is that this is our only bathroom. I'd hate to have the project drag any due to pulling out a tub and trying to get a new one to fit right and make sure all the plumbing lines up, etc. My concern with the "bath-fitter" is my rounded corners and whether that's something that can be accommodated. It seems to me that that one extra step of taking that vinyl off and squaring the corners could turn into a much larger project that I want.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
are you discussing what I currently have, or what I should look into doing?

Something like Tubcove would be better than what you have for a little amount spent.
Better would be something like tile or cultured marble.
I don't care for the assemble it in place fiberglass units that require drywalling over the flanges.

donovan const

Reaction score
Tear out existing surround. I'm guessing you probably have some water issues going on that you can't see. Repair water damage if there is any. Install a water resistant backer like Durock. Install plastic tub surround. This is not the best way to do it, but it will look alot better and is the cheapest route. If you want a job that you can trust for years and be pround of, consider having someone install a solid surface surround or tile. It may cost more, but it will be a lot better and will last a heck of a lot longer if done correctly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks