What is Your Opinion of This Kohler Toilet with K-4519 tank

Users who are viewing this thread

KC27

Reaction score
I have a Kohler toilet in my bathroom with these numbers in the tank

T 39
K4519
3 1

What is this model toilet's reputation in regards to flushing solid waste? I'm considering replacing it because it seems to get clogged fairly regularly by one adult member of the family and one who is not even a teenager yet. If this toilet is supposed to be good a handling solids, I'll go ahead and do some of the things suggested on some of the other threads I've read on this forum before resorting to replacing it.

Also, can someone offer some guidance on the proper water level. The word "waterline" is inked in the tank just below a small ledge that runs around the circumference of the tank. Is the proper water level supposed to be even with that ledge? My water level is about 3/8" below the ledge, maybe that could be the cause of the clogging? I do not have an owner's guide, and have been unable to locate one on the web to verify the proper water level.

Any ideas would be appreciated

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The K-4519 tank is the old 3.5 gallon per flush tank.
In the late 80's they went from 5.0 to 3.5 and many plumbers thought performance dropped a bit during that time.
A new 1.28 or 1.6 from Kohler with class five or six would clog less.

You may be able to tune the old one up though.
Water level in the tank is normally about 1/2" below the overflow tube.

Sometimes over time, the trapway collects stuff. We sometimes find that running an auger through may be needed.

Last edited:

KC27

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. Based on your description proper water level, the water level in this toilet is fine. I'll give the auger a try.

Thanks again.

Gordon Lavender

Reaction score
I have a Kohler toilet in my bathroom with these numbers in the tank

T 39
K4519
3 1

What is this model toilet's reputation in regards to flushing solid waste? I'm considering replacing it because it seems to get clogged fairly regularly by one adult member of the family and one who is not even a teenager yet. If this toilet is supposed to be good a handling solids, I'll go ahead and do some of the things suggested on some of the other threads I've read on this forum before resorting to replacing it.

Also, can someone offer some guidance on the proper water level. The word "waterline" is inked in the tank just below a small ledge that runs around the circumference of the tank. Is the proper water level supposed to be even with that ledge? My water level is about 3/8" below the ledge, maybe that could be the cause of the clogging? I do not have an owner's guide, and have been unable to locate one on the web to verify the proper water level.

Any ideas would be appreciated

SO MY QUESTIN TO TERRY HIGH HIGH IS THE OVERFLOW TUBES SUPPOSE TO BE? What if somebody rebuilt it at the wrong level and the current tube and water line are incorrect. So the question is what is the height of the overflow suposwe to be now what it is stained at.

Reaction score
Generally with all toilets, the water level in the tank is supposed to be as high as it can be without water wasting into the overflow.

Some people think they can save water by having the fill value shut off prematurely, all this does is cripple the toilet for an improper flush (skid marks from poo, backflow from the trap).

The fill valve is easily adjusted, if you can't figure it out, post a pic here and someone will identify it easily.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The 3.5 gallon bowls were only made for a short period of time. They did require quite a bit of water to make them work. The overflow tube will be below the flush handle. You don't want water leaking from the square hole behind the handle.
With the trapway clear, the work okay. Over time with some water, small holes can lime up. If the rinse doesn't come down the bowl like it should, sometimes poking the rinse holes clear with a wire helps.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks