What is Your Opinion of This Kohler Toilet with K-4519 tank

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by kc27, Mar 2, 2013.

1. kc27

kc27 New Member

I have a Kohler toilet in my bathroom with these numbers in the tank

T 39
    K4519
    3 1

What is this model toilet's reputation in regards to flushing solid waste? I'm considering replacing it because it seems to get clogged fairly regularly by one adult member of the family and one who is not even a teenager yet. If this toilet is supposed to be good a handling solids, I'll go ahead and do some of the things suggested on some of the other threads I've read on this forum before resorting to replacing it.

Also, can someone offer some guidance on the proper water level. The word "waterline" is inked in the tank just below a small ledge that runs around the circumference of the tank. Is the proper water level supposed to be even with that ledge? My water level is about 3/8" below the ledge, maybe that could be the cause of the clogging? I do not have an owner's guide, and have been unable to locate one on the web to verify the proper water level.

Any ideas would be appreciated
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

The K-4519 tank is the old 3.5 gallon per flush tank.
    In the late 80's they went from 5.0 to 3.5 and many plumbers thought performance dropped a bit during that time.
    A new 1.28 or 1.6 from Kohler with class five or six would clog less.

You may be able to tune the old one up though.
    Water level in the tank is normally about 1/2" below the overflow tube.

Sometimes over time, the trapway collects stuff. We sometimes find that running an auger through may be needed.
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  3. kc27

kc27 New Member

Thanks for the information. Based on your description proper water level, the water level in this toilet is fine. I'll give the auger a try.

Thanks again.