What is this rusted fitting?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by PKO, Nov 28, 2012.

1. PKO

PKO New Member

overall view large.jpg rusted large.jpg

I have a leak below the PRV which I'm planning to fix/replace. Since I'm there I'd also like to replace the valve with a ball valve. I have a couple of questions.

1) What is this rusted fitting and do I need it?
    2) Are there any suggestions before I dive in?

Thanks,

Pat
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

It looks to be a galvanized threaded plug.
    No purpose at all. Perhaps it was a hosebib at one point there.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

If it were ahead of the water meter, it would have been someone's attempt to "steal" water. If it is not in your way, just remove the steel plug and install a brass one.
  4. wraujr

wraujr Member

I vote for future sprinkler system connection (assuming there is meter at street).
    Given exposed exterior supply I guess warm weather climate where sprinkler systems are very popular so "tee" is part of normal install when house was built allowing easy addition of sprinkler system.

Just looked up Rowland Heights, CA. May thru Sep has average high near 90 with less than 0.25" of rain per MONTH. I bet sprinkler systems are quite popular among the green thumb crowd...
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  5. PKO

PKO New Member

Hmm. Never thought the builder would be that considerate. You're right. Almost everyone around here has sprinkler systems.