What gauge wire do I need?

Users who are viewing this thread

Sherlock342

Reaction score
What gauge wire is needed to run power to 1/2 hp Gould 7GS05 submersible pump and 1 hp Gould J10S booster pump 300 ft from the power source? The 1/2 hp pump is placed another 160 ft below the surface. It will have a small breaker box at the well. I have been told anywhere from 6 gauge to 10 gauge. Thanks in advance for your help.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Running both pumps on 230V will require much smaller wire than if on 115V. Even though it is a little larger than needed I would use #10 wire for 300' to the location of both pumps, then #12 wire down the well 160' to the submersible.
Cistern Storage Tank with JET Booster Pump (12).png

Sherlock342

Reaction score
Running both pumps on 230V will require much smaller wire than if on 115V. Even though it is a little larger than needed I would use #10 wire for 300' to the location of both pumps, then #12 wire down the well 160' to the submersible.View attachment 95835
I was thinking #10 wire, but my wife said that she talked to an electrician and he said #6 which I thought was way more than was needed. Would I need 10/2 or 10/3?
Thanks

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
#10 is good up to 480' for a 1.5HP load. Running just 300' would leave a little cushion for a light or two, but not much else. Larger wire would be needed if you add a heater or anything else to the load.

With 230V you needs two hots and a ground. I would run 10/3 to a breaker box at the well location and split it to two breakers as needed for the two pumps. From there 12/3 wire would be needed for a 2 wire submersible pump, and 12/4 would be needed for a 3 wire submersible pump with the control box. #14 is really all you need for a 1/2HP up to about 400' deep, but I just hate #14 wire. Can hardly crimp on a connector without pinching it into.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
With 230V you needs two hots and a ground. I would run 10/3 to a breaker box at the well location and split it to two breakers as needed for the two pumps. From there 12/3 wire would be needed for a 2 wire submersible pump, and 12/4 would be needed for a 3 wire submersible pump with the control box.
Does your terminology above count the grounding conductor? For building wire, it is generally not counted (so 10/2 UF is 2 conductors plus a ground), while for flexible cable it is counted. Obviously I'm unclear on the standard for submersible pump wire, but it looks like you must be counting the grounding conductor.

Thanks,
Wayne

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The 10-3 would have three conductors. two hots and a ground. !0-4 has four wires and is needed for a 3 wire submersible, as it has three hots and a ground going down hole. I think you would need 10-4 or 10-3 with an extra ground wire to be able to split it at the well house to get 230V and 115V.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I was thinking #10 wire, but my wife said that she talked to an electrician and he said #6 which I thought was way more than was needed. Would I need 10/2 or 10/3?
Thanks
'Electricians' Famously over size submersible pump motor wiring because they never read the Franklin AIM manual. They don't understand the differences between submersible pump wire sizing and shop wiring. Go with the smallest wire size per Franklin.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks