What do I need to do to raise a toilet 8-3/4"?

Users who are viewing this thread

edanek

frameless cabinet fabrication
Reaction score
I have a “sunken†utility room whose floor is 8 3/4 inches lower than the rest of the house, and want to raise it to the same level as the other floor. The utility room floor is a concrete slab that has a toilet (the drain pipe is embedded in concrete). How do I do this correctly? I may be able to cut the top of the drain pipe / flange out with a Dremel, but that probaly creates other problems. Any advise is appreciated.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What kind of pipe is it? Cast iron, abs, pvc? Depending on what it is, and the size of the pipe would determine the easiest way to resolve this. Once you have the old flange of, a no-hub connector, or maybe even just a glue-on coupler, a short riser, and the new flange would be all that is required. You'll probably have to chip out around the pipe for a bit to make room for either the coupler (if plastic) or access to tighten a no-hub connector onto the pipe (if CI). Keep in mind that the new flange should be installed on TOP of the finished floor, so however you are raising the floor, leave room around the pipe (if it is 3") for the new flange to slide over the pipe which you can leave long until the finished floor is in. If it is a 4" pipe, you have the option of either an inside mount or outside mount (preferred). Make sure the riser is plumb, or installing the flange and having it level will be impossible.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would break out the concrete and extend the pipe from there.
There isn't really a good way to extend past a closet flange.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks