What determines hose bibb size?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by DavidTu, Jan 23, 2011.

1. DavidTu

DavidTu Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    For 2x4 walls with wood siding what determines the appropriate 3/4" tube length for a vacuum breaker non-freezing hose Bibb?
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Sep 1, 2004
    Yakima WA
    Mine are 12" long, and that works just find in Yakima which sees colder temperatures than you get in Seattle, so that should be ample length for you. I really don't know if there are different lengths, all you really have to do is get them through the wall with enough length to work with inside. Main thing is to be sure you remove the hose in the fall before frost season. I have recently heard there are some that will drain even with the hose connected, but I haven't actually seen them so I can confirm or deny their effectiveness.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona
    The determining factor is "how long does it have to be so the operating section is in a warm area".
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Aug 17, 2004
    Bothell, Washington
    Normally six inches for 2x4 and eight inches for 2x6
    Or longer always works too.
  6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Sep 2, 2004
    Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    New England