Wet venting options and a toilet connection question

Users who are viewing this thread

krik

Reaction score
Hi all - looking for some advice on the best layout to wet vent a toilet. See diagram below for options 1 through 4. Assume 2" coming from a lav for the wet vent with a cleanout in the vertical part of vent. Also assume I can use the toilet as a cleanout. Questions:

- Do any of these *positively* not meet code (or would maybe cause a lot of discussion with the inspector)? E.g, some local code states wet vents can't pitch more than 1/4 to prevent turbulent flow problems, so would that rule out the option with the "rolled up" wye?
- Which might be the remaining option that has the least risk of becoming a problem? I.e., is there an option that you think is more or less likely to develop clogs, or harder to unclog the 2" part for?

And two related to the toilet, because I don't have a lot of room even with back-to-back fittings:

- Can I use a non-long street 90 for the toilet connection, or must I use a long sweep or closet bend?
- Is there a big disadvantage to use a long sweep 90 vs 2 45s in the horizontal turn?

wetvent.JPG

krik

Reaction score
#2 & #4 are correct as they allow the proper gradient of pipe to prevent from breaking the vent.

Makes sense (although it really doesn't make sense to me, because the wet vent already starts vertical and has a transition to horizontal, so that would be problematic if you accept the max 1/4 rule. But I guess it is what it is).

Anyone see a problem with #2 over #4? I'm concerned that because it's in a bend of sorts it's more susceptible to having crud build up at the wye junction. Maybe I'm overthinking it though.

And still a remaining question: what kind of 90s (besides a closet bend) can I use for the toilet connection?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
"And still a remaining question: what kind of 90s (besides a closet bend) can I use for the toilet connection?"

Pretty much anything but a vent 90.
Med 90, Street medium 90, long turn 90, closet bend,

krik

Reaction score
Pretty much anything but a vent 90.
Med 90, Street medium 90, long turn 90, closet bend,

Thanks Terry. And let's say I have room to do either, would you prefer wet vent #2 or #4 from my diagram?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I think 4 has the edge, but barely.

Some inspectors want a cleanout at the end of the lines.
On those I may run a 3" for the lav, putting the cleanout in the cabinet.

The cleanout can be within five feet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks