Wet vent with 4" stack

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by peter.ar, Sep 25, 2013.

1. peter.ar

peter.ar New Member

Sep 19, 2013
    Boston, MA
    This question is mostly about _why_ plumbing code requires certain things.

I am working on the 3rd floor of a 4 floor, 200 year old building. I recently had a plumber in to repair a leak in the 4" cast iron at the third floor. In the process he completely re-did the sink and washing machine hook up on the 3rd floor. The two fixtures tie into the 4" drain using sweep T fittings, the sink above the washer. This puts the two about 8" apart. On the fourth floor there is only a kitchen.

The washer hasn't been connected yet, and my question is if it needs its own vent. There is a vent pipe that the plumber used for the sink, and I could branch off that and also vent the washer.

Reading the code (Massachusetts) it seems that wet venting is explicitly prohibited if the fixtures involved are a sink or clothes washer! Go figure! But I can't understand why it would really help anything in this case. With a 4" main drain fed by only 2 1.5" or 2" drains, that 4 drain could never have enough water in it to siphon out the washer trap. Is there some other potential problem I am not thinking of? Or are they trying to prevent someone using a 1.5" diameter pipe as drain & wet-vent?

Another assertion in the code is that a washer trap shall not below floor level. Why is this?
  2. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

Nov 29, 2010
    You can't plumb without a license in Mass. Especially in Boston.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Aug 17, 2004
    Bothell, Washington
    You can use the same vent for the sink and washer, re-vented at 42" or higher off the floor.
    For years we used to wet vent a laundry sink over a washer as long as the sink was run with 2" on the vertical. It's been years since I've been allowed to do that though.