Weird outdoor spigot

Users who are viewing this thread

ircphoenix

Reaction score
I'm trying to find a way to attach a normal garden hose to this contraption outside. It's too big for a standard garden hose connection. I measured it and it seems to be about 1.125-1.25 inches in diameter. The threads don't look like threads either. They're just ribs. Replacing the entire thing would require shutting off the water to the entire condo complex. Some sort of adapter would just be easier.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20180422_190956~01.jpg
    20180422_190956~01.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 640
  • 20180422_190951~01~01.jpg
    20180422_190951~01~01.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 610

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks, those are some tight threads. Is there a 1" compression thread? Anyway, it's out there somewhere.

jjnes1

Reaction score
Hard to tell from pics but it appears to unscrew at the base. If it is a female fitting and threads onto something you could replace it with water coming out. Just tape and dope the male threads and keep the new valve open while screwing it on. Then once tight close it. It works in a pinch.

If you are worried about the water coming out, screw a hose onto the new valve and hang the other end over the side of the balcony while you are installing it.

Reach4

Reaction score
I measured it and it seems to be about 1.125-1.25 inches in diameter. The threads don't look like threads either. They're just ribs.
See if they are threads by drawing around one thread with a pencil.

You really should find a digital caliper.

Looks maybe like something made to mount a vacuum breaker, but that would take threads I think. Your measurement seems similar to what people have posted about the Arrowhead fine thread aerator connection.

See https://terrylove.com/forums/index....read-size-pipe-threads-vs-hose-threads.29260/

Last edited:

Quarterball

In the Trades
Reaction score
That's whats left of a hose bibb that has an integral vacuum breaker/backflow preventer attached to it. The section with the hose threads has been removed. Best bet is to simply replace the entire hose bibb. Shutting down the water for 10 minutes will be much simpler than trying to track down the replacement part.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Yes, someone removed the thread on vacuum breaker on that. That would have fine threads on the supply side and hose threads on the outlet. It's normally easier to buy a new faucet.

arrowhead_breaker2.jpg

Last edited:

ircphoenix

Reaction score
Hard to tell from pics but it appears to unscrew at the base. If it is a female fitting and threads onto something you could replace it with water coming out. Just tape and dope the male threads and keep the new valve open while screwing it on. Then once tight close it. It works in a pinch.

If you are worried about the water coming out, screw a hose onto the new valve and hang the other end over the side of the balcony while you are installing it.

I did this. Holy WOW that was a lot of water with quite the pressure behind it!!! Easier than finding and shutting off water for the entire building... though next time I'll be sure to shut off the water first instead.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks