Wax Rings Fall Off Horn

Users who are viewing this thread

whacka.thumb

Reaction score
When I install a new toilet, about 60% of the time I put the wax ring on the horn, pick up the toilet to mount it to the flange, and plop, the wax ring falls off. Is there a secret plumbers trick to keeping the ring on the toilet long enough to get the toilet on the flange?

Heat the horn? Secret wax glue?

Thanks,
Chris

Reach4

Reaction score
The plumbers say to put the ring on the flange. Set the toilet onto the wax.

Cracked

Reaction score
You are asking about standard floor drain toilets? I guess they're so inexpensive the box doesn't have directions, even if only a visual - without ring, with ring.

Whatever you do, no heat near the ring. It's only vaseline and wax. In a small stick dispenser, it's called, chapstick! :D

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I cant say Ive ever tried putting the wax on the toilet. Gravity works to my advantage with the wax on the flange, not the other way around.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
When I install a new toilet, about 60% of the time I put the wax ring on the horn, pick up the toilet to mount it to the flange, and plop, the wax ring falls off. Is there a secret plumbers trick to keeping the ring on the toilet long enough to get the toilet on the flange?

Heat the horn? Secret wax glue?

Thanks,
Chris

I usually put the wax on the flange. But if you want to stick it to the toilet before you set it, STICK IT. Smush it in so it sticks. Nah - "Gosh darn golly" that. Put your ring on the flange and DON'T MISS the hole. (dat's what she said)

whacka.thumb

Reaction score
The plumbers say to put the ring on the flange. Set the toilet onto the wax.
Well, that mystery is solved. You know, I've put the ring on the flange once or twice and thought "Boy, that was easy".
Thanks to all.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks