Water test kits and general testing

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by mmarkallm, Jul 30, 2014.

1. mmarkallm

mmarkallm New Member

I have read several posts recommending the Hach 5B test kit for hardness.

There is a comment suggesting the Hanna test kit is as good for half the price. Any thoughts?

Also, I am looking for ways to test for post water softener sodium amount and other general water quality. Any recommendations for how to get these tests?
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2014
  2. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

Normally most all waters will contain some sodium and a softener adds 7.85 mg/l (roughly a quart) per grain per gallon of compensated hardness. If you look at labels of beverages and food, your softened water will normally have much less sodium.

You can see the sodium in beverages and foods here;
    http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/drinks-high-in-sodium.php
  3. Reach4

Reach4 Active Member

If you look at that sodium web page, note 100g of beverage is very close to 0.1 liters .
  4. mialynette2003

mialynette2003 Member

I believe Texas A&M may test for sodium. The cost was very reasonable in the 90's.