Water spot smaller with new hardware?

Users who are viewing this thread

RallyJon

Reaction score
Website
www.rallystuff.com
Hello, first post. My house has identical toilets that date from a late '80s renovation. They all have occasional run-on problems, so I decided to re-fit them with new tank hardware. I just finished the first one using a Korky valve and Fluidmaster flapper, tube and flush valve seat.

Now, the water spot is much smaller than before. See the comparison below.

Also, the flush is now much more turbulent. Before, the bowl would fill quietly and then flush with less energy. Now, the water rushes in and swirls and flushes. I assume this is because the ratio of water from the tank to water already in the bowl is much higher.

I noticed some things when doing the re-fit. The original flapper was much closer to the bottom of the tank. The fluidmaster flapper closes when there is still a couple of inches of water in the tank. I have it adjusted to "9" for max flush volume, but shouldn't the tank drain almost completely?

The original refill tube was also too tall, just 1/4" below the flush button hole. The old fluidmaster valve that I removed also allowed the water level to go over an inch above the max water line cast into the tank.

So I'm guessing that a previous plumber had set it up that way to get more flush volume and a larger water spot. Is that dangerous, or can I re-do it the same way?

Thanks for any advice.

waterspot.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
inside_tank_cst744s.jpg

A good picture to add would have been inside the tank
Does your valve have the rubber tube that puts water into the overflow?

That is needed to fill the bowl after a flush.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
How much water is coming from the fill tube?

I've used the Korky in old toilets before with the large bowls and it hasn't been an issue.
If anything, it should be overfilling the bowl.

Thanks for the picture.
How come you didn't use the clip that came with the Korky?

RallyJon

Reaction score
Website
www.rallystuff.com
There is a full stream of water coming from the fill tube for the duration of the tank filling. I think with the higher total fill volume from the old setup (higher fill level + lower flush valve level) there was just more time to fill the bowl.

Possibly with the old Fluidmaster the tube was larger diameter or it flowed more through the tube as well?

I used the right angle clip from the Fluidmaster instead of the clip that came with the Korky. Could that be a restriction?

Just went to Home Depot to try and find a non-water saver flush valve that would sit closer to the bottom of the tank. The clerk said they couldn't sell them because code required them.

RallyJon

Reaction score
Website
www.rallystuff.com
RallyJon said:
I used the right angle clip from the Fluidmaster instead of the clip that came with the Korky. Could that be a restriction?
Just tried a new piece of tube with the Korky clip and that got back 75% of the old water spot. The Fluidmaster right angle was restricting the flow.

Also, the local Ace hardware store had non-water saver flush valves, so the Home Depot dude was full of it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks