Water spot size?

Users who are viewing this thread

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Yep. No problem. 5 1/2" between post holes. As to AS, I was just identifying the difference between the two whites.

Last edited:

Charles2

Reaction score
I should probably start another thread to ask this, but how do you decide between a closed front and open front seat?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You generally see an open front seat in public restrooms...it enables 'drips' to go onto the porcelain rather than run under and on the seat, and provides a little more room for the male anatomy.

Charles2

Reaction score
Is that why hospitals do it? I'm asking because the clients are elderly and are trying to stay out of nursing homes.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Terry has indicated that the relevant Toto seat really fits the bowl of the Drake very nicely; it's comfortable and aesthetically-pleasing.

In our house, we had recently replaced the plastic seats on several toilets with the wooden Mayfair (Bemis) slow-close seats with the EZ-detach feature, and I just moved them to our two new Drakes (one round, one elongated). To us, they seem to fit fine, and the family really likes them, but we seem to like the hard seat. Guess it's just what we're used to; it's not a money issue, we just like 'em. But they do "fit" in any way that's noticeable, although they don't fit the contours of the toilet exactly like the Toto seat, I think.

Brucet99

Reaction score
I found my Toto toilet at National Builders Supply, Austell GA, delivered to my door in SoCal in 5 days for $100 less than at a local discount plumbing supply. They actually packed the original cartons in bigger boxes surrounded by packing peanuts foamed in place with expanding foam.

www.national*************.com

Edit: apparently there is something on this forum that prevents posting their url, so I guess I cant do it.

.com/c/toilets/368

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Hey, Charles2, I did a little open-seat research for you and was intrigued at the compliments that the open-front, commercial-grade Toto SC134 seat seems to get from folks who had bought it for home. It's one of the ones noted by Toto on the spec sheet for the CST744S. If you look at the customer reviews at the major housewares merchants' web sites, they're almost unanimous that this is one nice seat.

Edit: By sheer coincidence, after I posted this earlier, a family member allowed as how the Toto SS114 seat on our Carlyle II had "broken". I assumed it had just slipped on a loose attachment bolt. Nope -- one side had come apart, apparently from significant torsion (don't ask). So I took the thing off the toilet, disassembled and reassembled it and reattached it...good as new. However, in doing so I just have to say that every piece is really nice, solid, heavy plastic or metal, an interesting and solid design, and it just exudes quality. Apparently, this is a newer design of the SS114 where they have kept the model number, because I saw lots of bitching on one seller's web site about how the seat shipped didn't match the photo on the site or the SS114 that had come on their old toilet, and posted their own photos to prove it. Indeed, my 114, which came with the toilet, is different from the old product photo but exactly what the seller was selling. (People were actually sending it back saying that the wrong product was in the box, even though the box had the right number. The perils of significantly-redesigning something and giving it the same model number, I guess, but if I were the merchant I would be pissed at the manufacturer for causing all this tsouris.) Regardless, my point is that the current SS114 seems to be a very nice closed-front seat.

Last edited:

Charles2

Reaction score
I see now that the SC134 has a cover and the SC534 doesn't, but still can't discern the difference between the soft close seats. Anybody?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I see now that the SC134 has a cover and the SC534 doesn't, but still can't discern the difference between the soft close seats. Anybody?

Appearance. The ss204 has a wide-back design that makes it look like a complete oval on the top of the toilet and is a top-mount design. The SS114 has the nuts under the toilet, and a different look. Everybody has the wrong picture of the current SS114 unless you look at totousa.com, and to see it there, enter ss114#01 in the search box, otherwise it doesn't come up.

Charles2

Reaction score
I found my Toto toilet at National Builders Supply, Austell GA, delivered to my door in SoCal in 5 days for $100 less than at a local discount plumbing supply. They actually packed the original cartons in bigger boxes surrounded by packing peanuts foamed in place with expanding foam.

They're still doing it that way. Order arrived today.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Awesome. If you would, I'd love to know how the install goes and your impressions of the toilet quality, flush, etc., and how your clients like it. After using "regular" toilets elsewhere for a couple of days, I was newly-amazed today at how fast the flapper opens and closes on the Drake, and how quick and effective the flush is. I remember that one family member at first thought the Drake was "broken", because it all happened so fast. I am always interested in what other people think about the whole thing.

PS I know you know how to install a toilet, but for what it's worth the directions for the Drake install are pretty good, and show a good method for determining how tight to make the tank to eliminate wobble. And of course there is Jamie Love's overview of how to install a Drake on the Drake review thread.

And you probably know this as well, but you need to bring your own wax ring and closet bolts to the party, and maybe a new supply line.

Last edited:

Charles2

Reaction score
I was a bit disappointed to see Made in Mexico instead of Made in Georgia. My plumbing sub said the installation was typical for him. However, after he left I saw that he didn't read the directions so the tank wobbles. But it doesn't leak, the clients haven't complained and are very impressed with the flush.

What do you mean "maybe" a new supply? Are you forgetting what got replaced? :)

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The Drake gets made in Georgia, Vietnam, Mexico and perhaps other places. In our house, two of the four components (2 tanks, 2 bowls) are from the US, and one each from Vietnam and Mexico. If you got the Korky fill valve inside, that part is made here. The good news is that the quality is pretty uniform across plants, unlike the Hecho en Mexico American Standard products. My Vietnam bowl matches my US tank just perfectly, for example. Hope you didn't feel misled.

If you want to eliminate wobble, you can always empty the tank, loosen the tank bolts, and retighten the right way. Anyway, glad they like the flush. Mission accomplished.

On the supply, all I meant was that it wasn't in the box, so unless you wanted to reuse the old water supply line, you needed a new one. I follow Terry's recommendation that one change the supply line when one changes the toilet, but I know it isn't always absolutely necessary.

Last edited:

Charles2

Reaction score
Well, almost a year has passed and the same clients want another toilet. Is the Toto CST744 still the best choice?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
It's still a great value! We still love ours!

The CST744EL (the 1.28gpf version) now is available with the option of a different-look tank. It's a little more money for the new-look tank. That would be CST744ELN. The bowl is the same. The old tank is still available (and I still like its look better) under CST744EL. If you want that 1.6gpf flush, than you want the one you bought last time, which is CST744SL. (S for 1.6, E for 1.28)

The Drake II, again for more money, is also a fine toilet and has become one of Toto's most popular. CST454CEFG. It has a "dual cyclone" flush that gives a little-better bowl wash. And it comes at "universal height" for no extra charge.

However, if the clients like the ADA-height 1.6gpf Drake that they have, another one is probably the best value out there!

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks