water softener

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by Ford2001, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Ford2001

Ford2001 New Member

Yes I read some of the water softener thread repiy posts.

I have hard water coming into my house. I also have an electric storage hot water heater.

My softener just up and quit have I am thinking I should do without it.

Can someone out there help tell if the softener would help the electric hot water heat elements
    last longer?

Thanks
  2. Akpsdvan

Akpsdvan In the Trades

3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Soft water does minimize the calcium buildup on elements and may prolong their life. As for the heater tank itself, the softener just changes the character of the deposits so the heater would still accumulate deposits, which might not have any effect on the longevity of the tank.
  4. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

A softener removes hardness which prevents hard water scale build up in the water heater and on electrical elements etc.. Sediment in a water heater using softened water is usually caused by other things in the water other than hardness that a softener does not remove.