Water Heater - Incomplete recirculate loop

Users who are viewing this thread

monty

Reaction score
I am responsible for replacing a failing water heater at my work location - that is a pretty easy solution...take out the old State water heater and put in a new one. Simple & Done.

However, I was looking at the installation and there is a Grundfos pump (Model UP 15-18 SU) connected to an insulated pipe that "T's" into the cold water inlet. This is a hot water return line and comes from the ceiling above our 2 bathrooms that are about 20ft from the hot water heater. The pump is not wired up at all (never has been) - so it has never been used in 15 years...There is no expansion tank (the original building plans called for one), or a temp sensor in the pipe.

I have 1 Kitchen Sink and dishwasher that is 3 feet from the existing hot water heater location. This is a business location - Mon-Fri hours - so a timer or motion sensor in the bathrooms to trigger a recirculate pump would be the a nice thing. I don't want to spend a bunch of money updating this system, but want to see how I could get it running.

Any help would be appreciated! - Thanks

IMAG0252.jpg
IMAG0251.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
grunfos_recirc_chart.jpg

I have done the recirc both into the bottom of the water heater, removing the existing drain and installing a tee for the recirc,
And I have used the incoming cold for the recirc. Normally for the incoming cold, I would have a check valve to prevent the recirc from going upstream, and add an expansion tank.

Regardless, I use a spring check on the recirc line.

The Aqua Stat is a nice touch on the recirc. It shuts the pump off when the heated water has completeted the loop.

grundfos_aquastat.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks