Water heater expansion tank

Users who are viewing this thread

igornys

Reaction score
Expansion tank on my 50 gallon water heater become full of water so that I decided to replace it ordering the same model (Therm-X-Trol ST-12) that I had before.

The tank was installed horizontally above the heater (see below). Now when reading installation manual, I see that according to the manufacturer, the tank has to be installed vertically.

Schema.jpg

What would you recommend?

My plans is to change the tank location as showed at the picture on the right as there is a wall on the right of the water heater so that I can provide support for another end of the pipe easily.

Also, when installed this way, the bottom of the tank will be below the top of the water heater (see second picture below), is this permitted?
new_1.gif

Thanks a lot for the response

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If that is what the installation directions say, I can't argue that point. However, the installation for thermal expansion tank I have allowed for it to be installed as your old one was. The main caution with any installation was to be sure there was a good support. The drawing you have with the tee would work. Mine is just a tee in the main line with the tank suspended below. The main line is strapped to floor joints. The height is of no concern.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You mean this part of the instructions?

Mounting Position

One benefit inherent in the Therm-X-Trol® is the ability to
mount the tank in any position. Due to the use of a heavy butyl/
EPDMdiaphragm or butyl bladder, the Therm-X-Trol® can be
mounted in an arrangement that best suits the installation space.

igornys

Reaction score
Terry, Gary,

thanks a lot for the quick response.

I was looking at the on-line installation instruction provided by Home Depot.

The limitation is described in the section on the left, last sentence in the warning #5. Please note, that PDF manual was revised on 8/06 (see on the bottom).

After your response I compared it with the printed instruction that came with the tank (dated 11/11) and this very last sentence about the position is missing there … Also, instruction available at Amtrol directly does not have this limitation.

I assume that the modern Amtrol tanks can be installed in any position.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I called Flexcon, the brand that I mainly install, and they say the Flex-ST5 can be mounted horizontal as long as it's supported.
They don't want the dead weight putting pressure on the pipe.

I either go vertical with fittings off the water heater, or if I wall mount the expansion tank horizontally; I strap it.

water_heater_2174.jpg

Last edited:

igornys

Reaction score
Terry,

Terry,

thanks a lot for the response - I actually installed support when replacing tank earlier today.

My major concern was weight in case tanks is leaking/become full of water. Specifically in my case the tee has 1/2" connection when my Amtrol tank has 3/4" connector so that I had to use an adapter increasing the lever.

WaterHeater1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the strapping is installed well, it should be more than sufficient to hold the tank in position when it eventually fails. They all do, eventually, but it depends on the water quality and how well you maintain the pressure so the bladder doesn't get stretched to the limit. Since it's close to he wall, you could put a shelf bracket underneath it...some I've seen (and use in my garage to hold some lumber) are rated at as much as 1/2T...any 'normal' one should be more than enough as a backup, should you not trust your strapping.

igornys

Reaction score
Strapping should perfectly hold 4 gallon tank even if full of water, but as a former Defense Industry Engineer :),  I don’t trust mounts that have extra degree of freedom. The wall is unfortunately a bit too far to use a shelf bracket to support.

As for the tank itself, the previous one was installed ~1 month ago by a plumber who replaced the old water heater and the original Amtrol tank. Not pre-charged + almost 90 psi water pressure made it failed soon (the tank installed was not Amtrol, but some noname ).

This is why I started looking on-line to better understand what was done wrong. I hope I did it right now, also pre-charged and lowered the water pressure.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I prefer to mount the tank vertically, above or below the pipe, directly into a tee so there is no lateral stress on the connection. But, if it is supported properly, it can be located in any position. I also put a valve on it so it can be service or removed without shutting off the water and draining pressure out of the system.

Last edited:

igornys

Reaction score
I also put a valve on it so it can be service or removed without shutting off the water and draining pressure out of the system.

How often do you typically replace the expansion tank?

As for the service/pressure maintenance – indeed having a separate valve would be more convenient.

I assume, however, that closing the incoming could water to the heater/opening hot water faucet at the location nearby for a couple of minutes will be enough to measure the actual tank pressure.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I also put a valve on it so it can be service or removed without shutting off the water and draining pressure out of the system.

I would like to watch you replace an expansion tank without draining off the pressure first.
That thing holds about two gallons of water at house pressure.
I think someone is going to be pretty wet.

expansion-tank.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
He used a valve with a drain, and he remembered to put the drain on the correct side. :)
be5a3202-91e3-4744-83b3-d7cf484751ce_300.jpg

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I would like to watch you replace an expansion tank without draining off the pressure first.
That thing holds about two gallons of water at house pressure.
I think someone is going to be pretty wet.

I would hope She is wearing a T-shirt and no bra.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
He used a valve with a drain, and he remembered to put the drain on the correct side. :)

Well...............that tiny little pin hole will take a while to drain 2 gallons under pressure.
I've seen the ball valves for that connection before, but then I think about how much water is trapped in that tank, and I think about the dunking I would take spinning it off.
The small drain there, I guess you can stand there with a bucket and try to catch it without getting wet as it's spraying at you under 60 PSI pressure.
I would rather shut shut the water heater off and open a faucet.

And Don, I just wear a T-Shirt.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
FWIW, while I like having one there, having a valve between the ET and the WH is not code. You could forget to open the valve, and then the ET is essentially useless. If the ET has failed, then at least if it was hanging vertically, you'd not have any water under any real pressure...you might not get wet taking it off. Horizontally, is another issue.

Also, if your static WP is 90psi, you should add a PRV! Residential settings are required to be NGT 80psi.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
IF the tank is set at the house pressure, there will be little, if any, water in it.

That's not how it works in Seattle.
Here, when you have an expansion tank, and turn the water off, it takes a while for the water to quit draining. It's like a delayed shutoff.
Without the expansion tank, off is off.

Reach4

Reaction score
That's not how it works in Seattle.

I laughed at that one.

Then I thought, what if the tank was pre-charged with 60 PSI of air and the city supplies 60 PSI water? Maybe that tank would do a better job of being able to accept over-pressure water, as the water heated, than if the tank was pre-charged with less.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I laughed at that one.

Then I thought, what if the tank was pre-charged with 60 PSI of air and the city supplies 60 PSI water? Maybe that tank would do a better job of being able to accept over-pressure water, as the water heated, than if the tank was pre-charged with less.

That's how they are supposed to be installed...set the precharge to your NORMAL water pressure, then the bladder is at equilibrium, providing the full capacity of the tank, and not having to be stressed as much by overstretching it. Now, when the WH causes the water to expand, it has the full capacity of the tank to absorb it. When you open a tap, the ET will release the water it is storing, and be ready for the next time the WH is running.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks