Water Hammer problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Zippydog

Reaction score
I am on a well and pressure tank system. I recently installed two automatic water hydrants for my horses. The brand is called (Drinking Post ) .
The supply for these comes from the house water supply , which has the pressure tank. The connection for the hydrants was made on the supply side ( between well and tank ) of the pressure tank. Now when the animals activate the water delivery ( they push a paddle with their mouth ) it creates a pulse like motion and we hear a banging sound in the house . My question, Would some type of back flow device help this from happening? Also, would it be any different if we made the connection on the supply side of the pressure take?
FYI , obviously I'm not a plumber, just a homeowner trying to DIY.... Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
Water hammer is a single bang that happens when a valve closes fast. If that is what you have, a water hammer arrestor is the tool of choice. It goes at each hydrant. There are variations with a lot of different connections.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The reason a hammer arrestor needs to go near the offending valve is that the flowing water has inertia. When that flowing water hits the quickly closing valve it wants to keep going. Because it can't, it's like a hammer moving the water line like a hammer hitting a nail - the whole pipe moves. To soften the blow, the hammer arrestor will have either a moving piston or air bladder that will compress some trapped air, absorbing the impact like an air bag in your car. If it is properly placed and sized, it should arrest the vast majority of the impact.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Even though the Drinking Post hydrant is installed prior to the pressure tank, you should still get water to come back smoothly from the tank to the hydrant. I am guessing you have a check valve after the tee to the hydrant that is only partly working. Or the pressure switch could be in wrong location, or possibly you have a waterlogged tank.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The reason air bags in your car are in front of you verses behind, is that is (normally!) the direction you're traveling, and you need to absorb the energy moving that direction...that can move that pipe which can cause problems. When it reflects off of the now closed valve, yes the bladder tank will absorb most of the reflected energy, but that won't do anything about it at the valve.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A bladder tank is teed off the main line at a 90 degree angle. It is not really ahead of the out going water any more than it would be of the incoming water. A fast closing or fast opening valve anywhere in the system can still cause water hammer. If these valves are slamming shut and/or popping open quickly, a hammer arrestor or stub up with a cap on it just prior to each valve maybe necessary.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks