Water flow - Is it the faucet?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by mds, Jan 22, 2009.

1. mds

mds New Member

I did a major remodel and some of the faucets have good water flow, but many have suboptimal water flow. My plumber says it is the plumbing fixtures, not the pipes (all redone in copper) or any installation issues. I don't know how to assess this and I don't know how to fix it (short of replacing many faucets if that is the issue). I am in California that has low flow requirements. Most of the faucets are from Newport Brass.

Any thoughts? If there is good (very good - and it is a different brand product) flow in one tub then can I assume that it is truly the faucets on the others (especially the other ones right near by)?
    Thanks,
    MDS
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

faucets

That would be the normal assumption, and because all the faucets other than the tub have maximum flow restrictions, it would be a very likely diagnosis, assuming the faucets are not plugged up, that is.
  3. mds

mds New Member

Is there anything I can do about it short of replacing the faucets? Is there are way to reduce or eliminate the restrictors?

Thanks,
    MDS
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

faucets

Usually you have to remove the aerators, but since YOU probably cannot buy unregulated aerators, you would have to live with a splashing sink faucet if you did it.
  5. mds

mds New Member

Doesn't seem fair, but thanks for the feedback.
    MDS