Need help locating crossover

Users who are viewing this thread

uscpsycho

Reaction score
I have a crossover issue that I am trying to isolate. I found this website which was easier to follow than most: https://www.hotwatertalk.com/how-to-fix-plumbing-crossover.html

These are his steps:
  • Turn OFF the hot water supply at the water heater.
  • Turn ON all hot water faucets.
  • Wait for several minutes until the water flow stops.
  • If you see any water flowing, then you have a problem with the plumbing crossover.
  • Next, turn OFF all the faucets.
  • Open one hot water tap at a time and then switch to the cold water side. If you notice water flowing or hear it, you have identified the location of the problem.
  • Test all other faucets, as there may be more than one instance of crossover.

In the 4th step I have a shower that continues to lightly flow when I turn it to hot while the water into the tank is turned off. So this confirms a crossover issue.

It's the sixth step that is confusing. Can someone make exactly what I'm supposed to do here to isolate the problem? The way it is written makes it sound like I am supposed to turn on one hot water tap at a time, then turn it off, then turn on the cold and see if water flows. Of course cold water flows. What exactly should I be doing here to locate the source of the crossover?

The shower that continues to flow is a single-handle shower. Would this definitely be the source of the problem or does it make sense to do a deeper dive to identify the culprit?

GReynolds929

Reaction score
I think what is trying to be said is with the single handle faucet off, move the handle from the hot side to the cold side, if you hear water the faucet is crossing over. Single handle shower is very common to have crossover as they age. Does the shower have integral stops?

uscpsycho

Reaction score
I think what is trying to be said is with the single handle faucet off, move the handle from the hot side to the cold side, if you hear water the faucet is crossing over. Single handle shower is very common to have crossover as they age. Does the shower have integral stops?

So with the water supply to the tank shut off, I should turn single handle faucets to cold while they are off and listen for water flowing?

What about dual handle faucets? How would I check those?

I don't know if I have integral stops, or know what integral stops are. Is that what this article about "valve stops" is referring to? https://faucetlist.com/blogs/buying-guides/what-is-a-shower-valve-with-stops

The valve I referred to above is a Hansgrrohe shower valve, that's all I know about it.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
" integral stops " means built in shut offs on the hot and cold side underneath the trim plate

GReynolds929

Reaction score
I was taught that a 2 handle faucet won't cause crossover unless both handles are open and the spout is capped, like a utility or mop sink situation.

uscpsycho

Reaction score
I finally solved this problem after years of dealing with my crossover problem and I'm so happy I could cry right now. The solution to was found in this old thread. And I would have posted there, especially to thank the problem solvers, but it has the dreaded red warning telling me the thread is so old I shouldn't bump it so I obeyed.

Anyway, I'm posting my solution here just to give Google another data point for anyone who might be having the same problem in the future. I have a Delta Touch2O faucet that was installed without the check valves and that can definitely cause a crossover situation. They go into a more detailed explanation in the other thread.

I hope I didn't just jinx myself because I just ordered the parts and haven't installed them yet. Hopefully there isn't some other issue in addition to this!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I agree when you start a post and get a bunch of responces coming back and updating your solution to your problem is helpful and a curtesy to those that listened and gave tips on diagnosing your issue or have similar issue. whether you should do it at the other posting I dont know ? or post the title of other helpful posting s'

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks