Water Distribution Pipe Sizing

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by christech, Jul 2, 2009.

1. christech

christech New Member

Hello all,

I'd greatly appreciate some input regarding water distribution pipe sizing. I'm installing water pipes from my meter in the basement to the 2.5 baths plus a laundry room & kitchen sink. I've been vacilating between using a 3/4" and 1" distribution pipe. Here are the stats: The distance from the street to the meter in the basement is 54'. The pipe from the street is 5/8" in diameter. From the meter to the hot water heater near the rear of the basement where the chimney is located is 34'. And the distance from the street to the furthest faucet in the system comes in at 125 feet. In the attached plans 1 block = 1 foot.

Basement:
    First Floor:
    Second Floor:

Best Regards,

Chris

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2009
  2. Obama the Plumber

Obama the Plumber Plumber

You will want at least 1" pipe from the water meter.

Here is a nice chart and explantion

Water Sizing Table
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

pipe

WE would use 1" to the house, in case you decide to install an irrigation system, then 3/4" for everything else, with 1/2" at the ends. But what kine of pipe are you using, because that could change our recommendations. Didn't the approving body specify the sizes when you obtained your permit?
  4. christech

christech New Member

I'm using copper pipe to repipe the house from the meter to all utilities (bathrooms, laundry, kitchen, etc.) I don't on plan on changing the piping from the street to house so that bit will remain as is at 5/8". Regarding permits, all this design work is in preparation for the permit. I've completed the DWV isometric diagram and I am working on the diagram for the piping. I will be submitting the my plans for the permit but I am looking for some guidance regarding water distribution pipe size. Thanks.

Regards,

Chris
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

pipe

5/8" pipe from the meter to the house? You've got to be kidding. If not, then no matter what size pipe you use in the house the end result is going to be completely unsatisfactory. In fact, here, they would not issue the permit until you added a properly sized service pipe to the drawing.
  6. christech

christech New Member

Water Distribution Pipe

No, I'm not kidding I have a 5/8" meter. Would a 3/4" pipe from the street suffice? Can you tell me what calculations you used to arrive at your answer that a 5/8" meter under no circumstances would suffice?

Regards,

Chris
  7. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

At my mothers place, it's still a 5/8 meter.

The original water service was a 3/4" copper line 250 feet long.
    I was not able to run an irrigation system behind the house that way.

Without changing the meter, I ran a 1-1/2" instead, and now I can run four zones on 1 acre.

Increasing pipe size does reduce friction loss.
  8. FloridaOrange

FloridaOrange Plumbing Designer

A 5/8" meter is typical for a house down here - it is always piped with a 3/4" or larger to the house. Most meters are one size smaller than the service size.