Water comes out from shower diverter spout

Users who are viewing this thread

henryDIY

Reaction score
Is it normal for some water to still come out from the diverter spout when the shower is on? This is a brand new Delta valve with trim kit installed. Delta sent me a new replacement diverter spout but it is the same. The Moen I have at home does not leak when the shower is on.

You can see a video I posted here.

Reach4

Reaction score
That does not seem out of line for old style IMO.

Delta Faucet RP17454 Tub Spout Pull-Down Diverter, Chrome on metal or RP17453 (chrome on plastic) are moderately priced but leak much less than the older types.
They do confuse new users, since you pull the tip down to shower rather than lift a knob.

Reaction score
This is a norm for all these types of old school spouts.

They don't even have gaskets, they simply provide a vacuum so that the water doesn't exit at the spout, and instead the water is just shot to the shower.

Believe it or not, without any cartridges, spout diverts are the most reliable.

If you drips really bug you, you can swap the spout to a fancier one that will have gaskets in it. But over the years/decades, they will fail and you will be dripping again, which was completely normal to begin with.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some are better than others, but as said, it's not uncommon. Delta's pull-down spout seems to seal better.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
They lead so the water will drain out of the shower riser pipe after the water is turned off. THey are designed that way intentionally. The Delta pull down diverter is spring loaded so it does not have to drip.

delta-rp17453-terrylove-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks