Washing Machine Drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Tire Boy

Reaction score
I am currently remodeling a 1962 home in SC. The WM drain was a 1 1/2" galvanized standpipe that transitioned to a hose in the crawl space, passed through the brick wall below grade, transitioned to PVC below grade and came to the surface approximately 20' away. This system, not surprisingly, backed up over the years creating multiple problems including termites. I replacing floor joists, floor and plumbing. Because I am unsure of the current configuration of the existing septic system (tank and drain field), I am planning on having a small tank installed just for the WM. I am concerned over the number of bends in the pipe I felt I had to make to meet code and the existing confines of the home's layout. If I leave the drain in this configuration, will it flow properly to the new tank? By the way, nothing has been glued at this point.

Thanks

Attachments

• P1020770.JPG
    P1020770.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 16,007

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
As I posted in another thread, the best route from point A to point B , is always in a straight line. But in your case, you are limited in space and you used 1/8 bends and is still to code, except the AVV. We normally like to have the vent to the exterior of the house, usually above the roof line.

Plumber Jim

Reaction score
Website
www.broomfieldplumber.com
You should have hammer arestors on that washer box. you could get a box that allows the drain to be on the left most and the 2 valves on the right then you can go straight into the p-trap. That AAV doesn't look like an approved one, Looks like one of the cheap mobile home ones.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The fittings look fine,
The AAV should be changed to a code approved one, and a grill to allow air to the valve.
You can't close up the wall over an AAV.
If you need to add hammer arrestors, you can buy the ones that go on the hoses.
Most plumbers are installing the boxes with the hammer arrestors as a complete kit.

Tire Boy

Reaction score
Terry, Jim, and Krow,

Thanks for the help!:D

I will definitely add the hammer arrestors. The house has a 4:12 hip roof, so there is no working area where the vent would exit. That is why I was using an AVV. However, I will find a code approved one.

I was planning on just providing a decorative grill over the AVV. I can not say I checked all the plumbing suppliers in my area, but I did not find a box with an offset drain.

Thanks again!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The pipe probably is, but make sure it is 2". One reason the old 1.5" backed up is most modern WM pump faster than the older ones, and current code requires it to be 2" now.

Tire Boy

Reaction score
Everything on the drain is 2". My concerns over all the turns I had to install stems from the new faster pumps.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks