Washing machine box rough in

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by John28, Jun 23, 2013.

1. John28

John28 Member

My question pertains to the washing machine box rough in with supplies and standpipe. Under normal rough in this box usually ends up around 42 -48in., but what about todays pedestal washers putting them at a height of 53in.? Is there a standard rough in for these, as the 42-48in. height would be too low for the standpipe. I'm guess I'd need the bottom off the box at a minimum of the washer height of 53in? Thanks
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

It doesn't matter if the washer is higher.
    I used to put the top of the box at 48" because it was a natural break for the drywall.
    We sometimes drain a washer into a laundry tray, which is even lower.

You need a long enough standpipe for a washer to prevent overflow.

804.1 All plumbing fixtures or other receptors
    receiving the discharge of indirect waste pipes shall be
    approved for the use proposed and shall be of such
    shape and capacity as to prevent splashing or flooding
    and shall be located where they are readily accessible
    for inspection and cleaning. No standpipe receptor for
    any clothes washer shall extend more than thirty (30)
    inches (762 mm), nor less than eighteen (18) inches
    (457 mm) above its trap. No trap for any clothes
    washer standpipe receptor shall be installed below the
    floor, but shall be roughed in not less than six (6)
    inches (152 mm) and not more than eighteen (18)
    inches (457 mm) above the floor.
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

box

The box has to be higher than the water level inside the machine, but front loads do NOT fill the drum, they just have a small amount of water in the bottom, so the standard height is okay. If it were not, we would have to raiser EVERY washer box and standpipe when a washer with pedestal was purchased, (and a front load without a pedestal is ridiculous.)
  4. John28

John28 Member

Thanks for the replies, that makes more sense, everything you reads states from washer top.
  5. rtsquirrel

rtsquirrel New Member

I have a client who's kitchen remodel is including the laundry in his large kitchen. The base cabinets will actually hide the washer & dryer, with regular looking cabinet doors completing the concealment of the front loading machines. Obviously, he wants the washer box below the elevation of the marble counter top. My concern is with the accessibility to the washer box. I can easily put a clean out on the vent line and a cover on it at trim out, but what about "access to the hot & colds shut offs?"
    Has anyone done this?
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Wherever you put them make sure they are accessible without moving the washing machine because it will "weigh a ton".
  7. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The hassle when going outside of the 'norm' is, that the next owner of the house have use a different appliance and it no longer works...then, if they look at the codes, if it wasn't installed per that, things can start to get ugly. Code is generally written so it will work with any compliant device. If your inspector lets you get buy, depending on the timeframe, you may have issues or he will when he wants to change things down the road.
  8. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

I would trim out an access to the valves on one side of the machine.
  9. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

The client probably thinks this is SO ingenious and SO fabulous, but he/she is going to hate it after the third or fourth time they use it. Unless the client or their spouse or cleaning person really like to get down on their knees on the kitchen floor to do laundry, the novelty will wear off fast and the inconvenience will start to annoy.

I'm all for challenging the accepted wisdom, but one must bear in mind there is usually a REASON peoplle don't usually do stuff a certain way. It's very very rarely because nobody else thought of the "ingenious" idea, and usually because after thinking of it, they realized it wasn't a good idea. This is one.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  10. Reach4

Reach4 Active Member

It seems to me that a washing machine box does not contribute anything here. You need a standpipe. You need accessible valves. In this case, trying to combine those two functions into a single box would make the wanted result harder.

Instead locate the valves where they are accessible, and pipe the output of the valves to the garden hose hose faucet fittings that are located where best for the washing machine.
  11. Chad Schloss

Chad Schloss Member

I also have a small laundry area in a kitchen in a rental I rehabbed a few years back. I have the standpipe behind by stacked washer/dryer to the right corner, and the valves off to the right side. Use of a Sioux Chief 'Ox Box' I was able to split the two apart and it works just great.
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  12. AudreyGreenwood

AudreyGreenwood New Member

Do keep us updated with what's going on with the washing machine. I normally let my husband take care of all the house and plumbing works, but it's always good to read up a little bit more about how to do things so I can take care of things if he's ever away. If not for this forum, I swear I'll be trying to look for instructions on the washing machine packing box trying to install it haha!