Wallmount sink

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by Maxie, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Maxie

Maxie New Member

Ok another bathroom remodeling question...

We bought one of those slick European wall mount sinks for this tiny bathroom and the contractor doesn't like the mounting system (I can see his point). First of all, the bolts that came with the thing are not long enough. He hesitates to change anything from what was supplied with it, but he has to. But, it got me thinking, maybe it really isn't all that strong. The old American Standard wall mount sink had a metal bracket, and 4 bolts. This is 2 bolts directly into the ceramic back.

Sinkfront.jpg sinkback.jpg sinkbolts.jpg

So, I ask all of you? Is this strong enough? Do you all cringe at installing these? Do you modify the installation in any way to strengthen it? The ideas I came up with to make it stronger (b/c truly, it does worry me to have something so fragile looking) are to either add a metal frame with legs, or a simple wall mounted cabinet underneath.

Problem is, the only legs I can find online that could be made to size cost over $1000. (http://www.sinklegs.com/product-styles/sg-minimal.html) But, they are beautiful and are really high quality. They are made to order and size.

Or maybe my contractor who is also a cabinet maker could make this: sinkcabinetidea.jpg

Any thoughts?
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The ceramic is quite thick and well constructed, so as long as the anchors are into structural members the sink will be okay, just don't sit on it. wall hung toilets use a similar mounting and they survive very well.
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

I have one like that at my mother's house, and it has been fine for years. If the nut isn't a locking type, either get one or use a lock washer to ensure it doesn't loosen over time and get it snug, but don't crank it down as tight as you can when tightening the bolt. A little caulk at the wall/sink junction cleans things up and adds a little strength, too.
  4. dj2

dj2 Member

Wall mounted sinks (even the ones with brackets) are not so good in my experience. They sag, you lose valuable storage space by not having a cabinet and all your plumbing pipes and connectors are exposed.