Visible pipes through dropceiling

Users who are viewing this thread

s vik

Reaction score
Hi,

I just signed up here hoping to get some help and advice. I have no knowledge in plumbing so any help Would be hightly appreciated.

I recently bought a house where in my living room, located in the basement i have a drop ceiling. The problem is that i have 3 visible pipes below my ceiling. I believe they are for my shower and vanity from my bathroom. 2 of them are located close to the wall, on of those are a u-shape while the other is from ceiling to wall about 40 cm long. The u-shape is sticking down showing the part of the U.

The third visible pipe is also a U-shape and this one has a screwcork on it. (sorry for my lack of technical terms).

Is it possible to raise these above ceiling so they wont be visible? If so, is it a complicated job?
Thanks
SDC11975.JPG
SDC11978.JPG
SDC11980.JPG

s vik

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, appreciate it.
I don't know the difference between the 2, but since you say the an s-trap is no good there us nothing I can do?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
For the lav vanity, you can install the p-trap above floor and use an AAV as the vent. You don't normally see p-traps below floor for anything but showers and tubs.
The trap arm can only grade down at a 2% slope, and only for a certain distance.
42" on 1.5"
60" on 2"
Better to have working traps than to have a flat ceiling.

Themp

Reaction score
There seems to be a second false ceiling in the pictures. That particle board that has been cut to let the plumbing through does not look like a floor of any kind that could support anything. So, can you remove all that particle board and raise all the plumbing up the amount to enclose it? There seems to be lots of space available if that particle board can be removed to get to the real floor and joists above. Seems you will still have the stack on the back corner but that could be enclosed with a fake wall/corner.

s vik

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for all your replies, really appreciate it.

I'm really novice in plumbing, so for sure I don't want to do anything to lose functionality or to bypass norms and rules.

I dont really understand the technical words of plumbing but as i understand since the vertical drain is just above the dropceiling it needs the ushaped drain as a trap? So unless i raise everything i wont be able to just get rid of the parts going below my ceiling? I havent checked for the 2nd false ceiling, i thought it was there for a reason. I will look into it, but to actually raise everything sounds complicated... and expensive if i hire a plumber?

Thanks again

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks