Victoria and Albert tub, and freestanding faucet/shower valve.

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by canton, Aug 8, 2008.

  1. canton

    canton Plumber

    My g.c's client bought this tub, it's an English manufacturer of high end freestanding and clawfoot tubs. Anyone ever install one of these? I've never installed one of these so it's going to be a challenge, the client also bought the Kohler 1610 tub/handheld shower faucet.
    The client also went to the MA. local inspector after he bought this tub/handheld shower faucet and asked him if this was acceptable. The inspector told him that the faucet needed a mixing valve or thermostatic control because he considers a handheld shower attachement a shower.
    I've looked in the Ma. code and I don't see anything in there that say a tub with handheld needs a thermostaic control. I also don't want to argue with the inspector over this , but there is no easy way out. The only free standing tub/shower faucets w/ thermostatic controls in brushed nickel start @ $1200.
  2. hj

    hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

    Cave Creek, Arizona
    hand held

    You may not have found it, but I am sure it is there. Many jurisdictions, if not all, classify a hand held as a shower, because if it is not a shower what is it? However the pressure balanced/thermostatic requirement is not always enforced against them, yet.
  3. Terry

    Terry Administrator Staff Member

    Bothell, Washington
    And if you need a thermostatic control, they can be added to the supply piping. Grohe makes one for that purpose.
  4. GrumpyPlumber

    GrumpyPlumber Licensed Grump

    Licensed Grump
    Canton, long time no chat.
    Your inspector is correct (Tony?), you need anti-scald protection on any shower/bath valve.

    Hate to tell ya, but any custom plumbing is going to run a fortune...this isn't a simple Moen for a shower stall you're talking about.

    Also, brace for the plumber as well, complicated higher end fixtures ten to be more expensive to install.
  5. GrumpyPlumber

    GrumpyPlumber Licensed Grump

    Licensed Grump
    For reference, heres the code:

    "Automatic Temperature Control Mixing Valves:
    A central type automatic temperature control mixing valve may be used in lieu of individual thermostatic, pressure balancing or combination thermostatic/pressure balancing valve complying with ASSE 1070, provided that the temperature control mixing valve limits the maximum temperature of the hot water supplied to individual shower controls to 112EF during all periods when showers are in use.
    A thermometer is required in the outlet piping of the automatic central control mixing valve for inspection and adjustment of temperature.
    Check valves are required on the hot and cold water inlets to the automatic central control mixing valve.
    The automatic temperature control mixing valve is a secondary control for hot water that is supplied to individual shower stations and is in addition to the primary controls used to maintain the water temperature in the domestic hot water system.
    When the temperature in the hot water supply piping to a shower stations is controlled by an automatic temperature control mixing valve, individual shower controls may be Product-approved two handle or single handle shower valves.
    All automatic temperature control mixing valve devices shall be adjusted by the installing plumber, prior to a Final Inspection in accordance with (248 CMR 10.04(3)(e). The device shall be set to deliver tempered water at a temperature not to exceed 110EF to 112EF."
  6. jadnashua

    jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

    New England
    You may not want to limit the whole house's hot water to that temp, but you could install one at the WH output. If you install one exclusively for the tub/shower, you'd have to provide an access panel, but it could be plumbed anywhere before the tub to limit the temperature of the incoming water.
Similar Threads: Victoria Albert
Forum Title Date
Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog Slidebar for Victorian-Style Bathroom Jul 9, 2014

Share This Page