Victoria and Albert tub, and freestanding faucet/shower valve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Canton

Plumber
Reaction score
My g.c's client bought this tub, it's an English manufacturer of high end freestanding and clawfoot tubs. Anyone ever install one of these? I've never installed one of these so it's going to be a challenge, the client also bought the Kohler 1610 tub/handheld shower faucet.
The client also went to the MA. local inspector after he bought this tub/handheld shower faucet and asked him if this was acceptable. The inspector told him that the faucet needed a mixing valve or thermostatic control because he considers a handheld shower attachement a shower.
I've looked in the Ma. code and I don't see anything in there that say a tub with handheld needs a thermostaic control. I also don't want to argue with the inspector over this , but there is no easy way out. The only free standing tub/shower faucets w/ thermostatic controls in brushed nickel start @ $1200.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
hand held

You may not have found it, but I am sure it is there. Many jurisdictions, if not all, classify a hand held as a shower, because if it is not a shower what is it? However the pressure balanced/thermostatic requirement is not always enforced against them, yet.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Canton, long time no chat.
Your inspector is correct (Tony?), you need anti-scald protection on any shower/bath valve.

Hate to tell ya, but any custom plumbing is going to run a fortune...this isn't a simple Moen for a shower stall you're talking about.

Also, brace for the plumber as well, complicated higher end fixtures ten to be more expensive to install.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
For reference, heres the code:

"Automatic Temperature Control Mixing Valves:
A central type automatic temperature control mixing valve may be used in lieu of individual thermostatic, pressure balancing or combination thermostatic/pressure balancing valve complying with ASSE 1070, provided that the temperature control mixing valve limits the maximum temperature of the hot water supplied to individual shower controls to 112EF during all periods when showers are in use.
A thermometer is required in the outlet piping of the automatic central control mixing valve for inspection and adjustment of temperature.
Check valves are required on the hot and cold water inlets to the automatic central control mixing valve.
The automatic temperature control mixing valve is a secondary control for hot water that is supplied to individual shower stations and is in addition to the primary controls used to maintain the water temperature in the domestic hot water system.
When the temperature in the hot water supply piping to a shower stations is controlled by an automatic temperature control mixing valve, individual shower controls may be Product-approved two handle or single handle shower valves.
All automatic temperature control mixing valve devices shall be adjusted by the installing plumber, prior to a Final Inspection in accordance with (248 CMR 10.04(3)(e). The device shall be set to deliver tempered water at a temperature not to exceed 110EF to 112EF."

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You may not want to limit the whole house's hot water to that temp, but you could install one at the WH output. If you install one exclusively for the tub/shower, you'd have to provide an access panel, but it could be plumbed anywhere before the tub to limit the temperature of the incoming water.

DavidTu

Reaction score
This original post is several years old. By now there must be more experience among you in installing these products. I need an ASSE 1070 compliant mixing valve at point of use for a free-standing slipper tub supply (3/4" supply lines btw). What products are recommended? The supplies are to be floor-mounted; how have you handled access for the valve in this scenario (I am thinking about building a box above the floor onto which the free-standing supplies can mount and within which would be the valve... other ideas?)

What is most cost-effective way to meet the requirements (see below)... perhaps a ASSE 1016 valve is less expensive, though seemingly more advanced?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...tYGoCQ&usg=AFQjCNFR2eZf2-6r6h2ZpBGbNLebHZLa8g

Does this work: http://www.grohe.com/us/5750/search...roduct=35204-G217&color=000&material=35204000
we have 3/4" supply lines running... will it hurt much to reduce to 1/2" at the valve and then 1/2" supply from there or does that remove the benefit of the 3/4" dedicated supply lines? OR is there a 3/4" version of this valve or similar? (Again, this is not to protect from thermal shock, just scalding so Seattle / King County only requires ASSE 1070 but ASSE 1016 options would work as well--was assuming ASSE 1070 would be cheaper, but maybe not if too uncommon)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks