Vibrations from New Water Filter

Users who are viewing this thread

WEGL08

Reaction score
Hi everyone - I recently installed a whole house water filter (pictured) and I'm getting a decent bit of vibration when water is running through it. Enough so that if the house is quiet you can hear the vibration upstairs and the filter is sitting in the basement. When I put my hand on the pipes near the filter it's not a super aggressive vibration but definitely a decent bit and can be described as a low to medium "hum."

I've done all the troubleshooting I can think of:
- vibration is gone when I bypass the filter
- I've bled all the air out by opening all faucets, opening the bleeding screw on the blue filter until water pours out, etc.
- My PSI isn't too high - it's testing at 40. I've adjusted it slightly up and down with no improvement in the vibration

I'm stumped. Any suggestions/ideas? Really appreciate it!

Attachments

• water_filter-min.jpg
    water_filter-min.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 35

WEGL08

Reaction score
could be the PRV
It's brand new but I think it's still the most likely culprit. Small amount of vibration coming out of there but then the large carbon filter tank is acting as an echo chamber, making it worse. That's my latest theory. Think it's worth swapping out for a new one? I just grabbed this Watts brand from Home Depot. Is there a better, more reliable option? Or maybe I just got unlucky and grabbed a bad egg.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I installed the same one monday 1 inch lfn45 I should have a better answer but I cant tell you if thats any better or worse than other watts regulators or if wilkins is better.
I see it looked new , But still think a high chance of being the problem Whatever you try let us know your results

WEGL08

Reaction score
I swapped out the PRV and that was the problem. I bought another new one from Home Depot and noticed this one had the washers and larger nut in a plastic bag from the manufacturer. The original "new one" I bought from Home Depot didn't have that, or any instructions in the box so I think it must have been a return that shouldn't have made its way back to the shelf. When I took the PRV that was causing me problems out and compared it to the "new, new" PRV....I noticed the gasket that sits between the flat parts of the union that the large nut secures (sorry for my lack of technical terms :) ) was missing. Something I should have noticed originally but since it was already mostly assembled from previous customer....I didn't even think about it. That was definitely the culprit and the large carbon filter was acting as an echo chamber so it made it seem like the filter was the root cause.

Appreciate everyone's time and comments! Good lesson learned for me! :)

Attachments

• prv.png
    prv.png
    287.9 KB · Views: 27
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks