Is acheck valve needed when separating non filtered from filtered water for a conditioning media tank ?

Users who are viewing this thread

bikeboy

Reaction score
I'm installing a basic carbon water filter to filter chlorine from a city water supply. I've tee'd a line to all outside faucets ahead of the filter tank on the supply before entering line side of filter tank to not filter outside water. I'm assuming i'll have to install a check valve of sort to stop backflow from filter tank. I'm assuming a flapper type would be more efficient than a spring unit for better flow but orientation pedicular (only horizontally) operable.

Please reply if can help;
Thank You...

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
If thats the case you would need all non filtered water upstream to be on the checked side. I wouldnt think it be nessesary but adding a check whether swing or spring shouldnt affect flow noticably unless you have almost zero pressure and your line is way undersized.

bikeboy

Reaction score
Thanks for reply;
I was worried about any carbon sediment getting drawn up to separated line to outside faucets. I just picked up a sweat 3/4 swing check valve, but will have to be mounted horizontally for proper operation. The spring type check valves seem too restrictive Imo. Problem is that lines are all vertical from filter, except for a short bit @ T from rafters. i'm sure I'll figure it out. Thanks Again..

bikeboy

Reaction score
found a shark bite check valve @ local Home Depot ; probably a spring type; and has very easy cracking pressure that should be able to be mounted any direction and easily removed.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks