Vessel sink and faucet question

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Dom Z, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Dom Z

Dom Z New Member

I'm ordering a vessel sink the is 17" dia. by 6.5" deep.
    The faucet I'm ordering (Moen) is 12" high.
    Will this faucet work well with this vessel sink?
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

faucet

Where is the on/off handle? It makes no difference how tall the faucet is if the handle is behind the sink.
  3. Dom Z

Dom Z New Member

It's a single lever on the top of the faucet.
  4. Winslow

Winslow Plumber

Can't give a definitive answer without a cut sheet on the snk and faucet. Some vessel sinks sit entirely on top of the counter while some are set in 1/2 to 1 inch.
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

One thing that can happen is dependent on where the flow hits the bowl and how high your water pressure is. Get it wrong, and it could go down one side of the bowl and right across the bottom onto you.
  6. hj

faucet

If the handle is on top, and assuming the spout is also near the top, then why wouldn't the faucet work with the sink? Why did you ask the question?
  7. Dom Z

Dom Z New Member

Because my wife told me to.
    She seems to not trust my judgment on this and wanted a pro's view.
  8. iminaquagmire

iminaquagmire DIY Senior Member

You also need to make sure the aerator clears the top of the bowl. You don't want to fill the bowl and have the aerator under the water. I believe the industry standard clearance wanted is 1".
  9. hj

faucet

Just like a wife. The next thing she will do is expect you to read the directions when you install it. The only two things which would make it inappropriate would be if either the spout or handle hit or was obstructed by the sink rim. The handle is not a problem, so as long as the spout is higher than the sink it will work.