vent size - i know you all love these

Users who are viewing this thread

Fidodie

Reaction score
This was going to be so easy - slide a 2" vent up through a gap between a door frame (jack stud), and the perpendicular closet wall. drilled up, and found that the 2" pipe would not fit in the gap - just a hair too big - I have other options, but they mess with my plans for an A/C vent, and exhaust vent.......

on this branch is a back-to-back lav/kitchen sink on a 2" drain. 1 w.c, 1 shower - the total length of the run from under the first floor to the main stack is less than 30' -

do i have an option of 2" thin-wall or 1.5" sched 40? any other ideas (yeah, put the pipe through a planer...)

we are 2003 IPC -
thanks as always..
pat

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
1 1/2 will work fine

In my state a whole house can be run out
the roof on just a 1 1/2 vent sticking out
3 bathroom house and all....

if you cant get the 2 inch through, without tearing up
the whole home,

you have my permission to fudge just a litle bit..

I know it will work fine. as a revent ...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You could use a section of 2" copper pipe there,
They have couplings that bridge the copper x ABS/PVC

With the way toilets are flushing nowadays, one big gulp, I feel that venting is more important than ever.

Fidodie

Reaction score
ah - a simple solution to life's tough problems....i think i may even have the banded couplers around. many thanks.

I too assume that 1.5" will work...but the inspector would probably want to see the math..

as a jets fan, i do see them choking down the stretch, but beating miami so that the pats end up "in"....but that is for a different thread.

You mean the Bretts don't you, Terry

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

Thin wall pipe is larger in the inside, but the same size on the outside. The "large gulp" toilets, like all toilets, really just need the vent at the end of their cycle which is after most of the flushing has occurred so a 1 1/2" pipe would be more than adequate.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks