Vanity Wall Light - How Close to Ceiling?

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by jman2012a, Jul 25, 2014.

1. jman2012a

jman2012a New Member

I am installing a bathroom in my basement and the ceilings are low and are drywall. We are beginning to design it and want a light above the vanity mirror. The light will be wall mounted. What is the minimum distance from the top of the light to the ceiling that is permitted?
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

If there's a restriction, it will vary on the specific fixture you choose; there is no generic specification on this that I'm aware of. ANd, if you end up with a CFL or LED lamp, there may not be one, regardless. There are some rules on places like closets, but I do not think there are on 'open' rooms, generically, anyways.
  3. queen50

queen50 Member

Maybe you should consider recessed ceiling lights.

Attached Files:

4. jman2012a

jman2012a New Member

Thanks for all the replies. There is ductwork above the sink, so any lighting above the sink is not an option. I plan on using a vanity light that has fluorescent bulbs, so heat should not be a problem. Want to make sure placement was OK.