A question related to LNI electrical inspection and permit

Users who are viewing this thread

Curiousv

Reaction score
Electrical permit from LNI WA - it says

Once you have a permit, you can begin your electrical work. Permits are good for 1 year.
You must request inspection:

• Before you bury or conceal anything.
  • Within 3 days of completing the installation or one day of energizing, whichever occurs first.

Here is the situation - There is a common wall between kitchen and bathroom -- we did not have 2 circuits required by code so to add a circuit/outlet towards kitchen side of the wall - we had to run a 12-2 cable that runs between kitchen wall and bathroom wall. We followed all required rules for stapling and middle of the stud etc.

At that time bathroom/shower wall was open so I ran cable from bathroom/shower side.
Handyman/tile guy I hired by mistake entire shower wall (where shower faucet etc installed ) - He should have left 2 feet of wall open-non tiled.

So will the inspector ask me to remove that wall so he can see wiring - (its only like 2 feet of wiring that is between kitchen and bathroom wall - than this cable goes through ceiling joist and goes to panel .)

Or they will ask me pay some penalty? if yes what is the penalty?
@Terry @Reach4 @Jadnashua @wwhitney @Tuttles Revenge @Afjes @WorthFlorida

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The inspector could make you uncover the work to see it. But it will depend on the inspector. In cases like this Im always up front with them about what happened. Photos help if you have them.

I have no experience in buying or selling a home with an open permit.

Curiousv

Reaction score
The inspector could make you uncover the work to see it. But it will depend on the inspector. In cases like this Im always up front with them about what happened. Photos help if you have them.

I have no experience in buying or selling a home with an open permit.
Some people I spoke with - said - there is no need to get a permit for adding 3 circuits - one of them is retired journeyman and one of them is well known relator - managing broker - so do you know if its true or where can I confirm that? I can not call L&I and ask this.

Curiousv

Reaction score
ok I bought the permit it leads me to another question/s

It says - You must request an inspection prior to covering any electrical work, no later than three business days after completing the work or one business day after any part of the installation has been energized, whichever occurs first.
For example I adding three new circuits and dual protection afci/gfci breakers for these 3 new circuits - I am also altering 1 or 2 existing circuits - on this existing circuits I am adding couple new outlets, replacing a portion of romex (earlier there was old sheathed cable) and adding couple of light fixtures.

New circuits am adding his about 25 feet long so I have to keep entire passage open? This is an old house without attic so I have to run the cable along the stud to the top of the ceiling - and on ceiling joist I have to run all the way to back of the house and than run along the rafters. For doing this I have to open drywalls at many places so I have to keep all those places open for inspection? also for new light fixtures and new junction box - I have to keep them open like hanging ? on jn box - I can install outlet and put a wall plate/box cover on it?

Also it says - within 3 days after completing the work - I am working on 3 new circuits and 1 or 2 existing circuits - and I am not fast - so one circuit I will finish than it will take around a week for me to complete another and likewise so I how can I meet this requirement? How will inspector know if I have completed the work within last 3 days before inspection?

Finally - 1 biz day after any part of is energized - does it mean that I can connect everything but can not connect the final termination to breakers in panel box ? in other words I can not switch on to even test ? and if I do so - I have to call for inspection within a day? again how will inspector know if I have energized those circuits or not?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
In my experience in plumbing, not in electrical, I get my inspections after the work is ready to inspect. Sometimes thats and entire house remodel or sometimes its one bathroom in a large project so that the homeowners can use that bathroom while the rest of the house is worked on.

I think the Gist of it is that they don't want you to be using energized lines for extended periods if the work was done incorrectly.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Some of the details of the requirements are almost impossible to enforce , like how will inspector know if it was powered up for 1 day 3 days or a month Id leave tha t up to Curiosv to figure out . I think its for safety it would be kinda lame for a building and safety to say go ahead and energize and call for iunspection anytime before permit expires and tragedy strikes like fire or worse. so they have requirements like this makes total sence

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Some of the details of the requirements are almost impossible to enforce , like how will inspector know if it was powered up for 1 day 3 days or a month Id leave tha t up to Curiosv to figure out . I think its for safety it would be kinda lame for a building and safety to say go ahead and energize and call for iunspection anytime before permit expires and tragedy strikes like fire or worse. so they have requirements like this makes total sence
My sisters house 20yrs ago and our next door neighbors house back in September both burned because of electrical malfunctions.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks