Valve placement

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by wayup, Apr 26, 2009.

1. wayup

wayup New Member

I am trying to install a sprinkler system for my home. I have read much online about DIY. I just cant understand where to place the control valves in the system. I have five zones which will require five control valves. Is there any video online I can watch to see where to place the valves in the sprinkler system? Thanks very much.
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

The control valves are mounted in a manifold that is enclosed in a box. There are boxes made for this purpose. Mine is underground, but they can be above ground. Usually the are located near the controller so there do not need to be extensive lengths of wire. Again using my system as an example, the controller is in the basement. The valve box is just outside the basement wall. The wires (you will need 6 for a 5 zone system) go through the basement wall above the ground level to help prevent leaks and into the valve box. The tricky part is the construction of the manifold so that it will fit in the box. I made my own originally, but hen the old valves began to fail, I hired an irrigation system installer to replace them. Installing the original was easier because I have a big hole to work in. (I was also about 25 years younger) The replacing was made difficult (for me at least) because now there are shrubs and a sidewalk to deal with. It was more than worth the price to hire it done.
  3. wayup

wayup New Member

I understood everything you stated, but still I don't get the picture in my head where to place the control valve. Here is what I understand, please let me know where I am wrong. With my 5 zones, do I put all 5 valves close to the comptroller on the outside. My comptroller will be located in my garage, or do I spread them out throughout the system. You speak of manifolds, do all five connect to the manifold? I think for me to see a photo of how this works, I will get it. Cant wait to get started on this porject!!!!!
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

valves

Put then as close to the water source as possible and put them all together in one location. It will make them easier to locate and service, and the wiring will also be simpler.
  5. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

hj sums it up pretty well. The controller goes where you can get to it easily, and have easy access to mains power. The low voltage cable is easy to run, even a long distance, to the valve locations. Best to put all the valves in one location, at the main water source. It is not that hard and not much $$$ to run your lightweight 125 PVC to the zones. To get to the back yard, upsize the pipe to 1", and if over 125' or so, consider 1 1/4"
  6. tomm

tomm New Member

hire a pro