Utility sink and washing machine

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by n2learning, Mar 23, 2010.

1. n2learning

n2learning New Member

Can a utility sink and washer share the same 2" drain?
    Both fixtures are vented.

The utility sink and washer are on adjacent walls, the washer hose does not drain into the utility sink. The washer hose will drain into a 2" standpipe. I was hoping I could tie into the utility drain after the washer p trap.

(I can post pics if need be)
    Thanks,
    DK
  2. shacko

shacko Master Plumber-Gas Fitter

If you do what you propose you will end up with a line thats not vented, if both lines are vented a 2in. line is fine.
  3. n2learning

n2learning New Member

This is in a basement. Utility sink wtih vent.
    [​IMG]

Picture showing the stand up pipe and the vent. Obviously nothing is glued yet....and the vent will be extended of course.
    [​IMG]

The drain will then connect to the main drain. Am I good to go with the washer once all fittings are cemented?
  4. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Not quite.

Think about how gravity works here- the trap has to be ABOVE the horizontal drain from the sink.
    Also, a sani-tee is not approved for use on a horizontal line. Some areas will accept it for the vent, but not the drain. Use a wye and 1/8th bend combination instead.

I would prefer to have the washer standpipe and trap flat against the wall. Check out Terry's picture for an example-

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  5. dcelite

dcelite Plumber

You'll want to install the vent and p-trap on a seperate branch. So, in this case, the vent willl be in the same wall as the p-trap.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The pictures I see do NOT show any vents, or at least none where they should be.
  7. n2learning

n2learning New Member

How about this? I don't have the vent line in but you can see where it would go. This is just a prototype, I'll probably tighten it up.

[​IMG]
  8. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Sani-tee transitions horizontal to vertical
    Wye and 1/8 bend transitions vertical to horizontal
    Lose the extra length between the wye and 1/8 bend too.

Attached Files:

9. hj

You are doing it the hard way. Install a combination Y-1/8 bend next to where the trap will be. Glue a street 2x1 1/2 x 1 1/2 sanitary tee into that, and the trap into the side of the tee. The vents only have to be 1 1/2".
  10. n2learning

n2learning New Member

Thanks for the illustration, it helps. I had to do an image search for 'wye and 1/8 bend'; that's a fitting I haven't bought.
    Is it okay if the vent is 2" or should it really be 1 1/2"?
  11. hj

It does NOT have to be 1 1/2", but it can be. There is no problem with making vents larger than necessary, it just costs more.
  12. n2learning

n2learning New Member

How about this?
    (The 2X4 will be gone once I strap the pipes in place.)

Also, is there a minimum or maximum height requirement for the stand-pipe?

[​IMG]