Draining utility sink in laundry room

Users who are viewing this thread

Ssm623

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been asked before, but I can’t find a specific question like mine.

I have a laundry room with a large crawl space beneath it. The washer drains into a 1.5” ABS pipe, and the p trap and vent are behind drywall. The 1.5” runs to the main drain (4” I think). My plan for draining the utility sink is to tee into the ABS a few feet below the floor and 6 feet downstream of the washer. The sink will have a p-trap with an AAV, which I did read is up to code in my area. The AAV will be 4” above the p trap.

My question is, is this an acceptable design or do I risk flooding from the washer?

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Washing machines by code should be on a 2" line, and would be fine sharing a drain.
In your case, you should be ok, but....don't use a tee, use a drainage fitting, like a wye if the pipe you are connecting to is horizontal.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Personally have never run a Washing machine drain in 1 1/2" pipe and I dont run a kitchen sink or laundry/utility sink on less that 2 inch (excluding the trap arm and trap)
Depending on the dificulty Id like to gut out all the 1 1/2" or if you dont want drywall repair or open wall to do it right the least you could do is cut a new wye or combi into the 4 inch main and run 2 inch to your new sink up to the santee under sink .
If you choose to use an aav on a undersize line branching off a wash machine expect gurgling at utility sink . you might be luckey almost anything will kinda work and drain

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks