Using compression fittings vs soldering

Users who are viewing this thread

xms

Reaction score
I'm replacing cabinets and since the original waterline to the dishwasher was added after the old cabinets were installed, I need to cut it and then reconnect it once the new cabinets are in. I have 9 ft. of 1/2 in. copper tubing (makes a 90 deg. turn behind the cabinets) from the shutoff valve to the dishwasher flex connection. 1 1/2 ft of the tubing is accessable under the sink in the cabinet. I'm going to try to attach a picture to this thread.

If I cut the tubing approx. 6" from the sweated joints of the shutoff valve, will compression fittings on the tubing allow a proper connnection that won't leak?

If that's not a good idea, if I cut the copper pipe just before the reducing connector, would compression fittings for copper pipe-to-copper tubing allow a proper connection? I don't think I have enough copper pipe to do a copper pipe-to-copper pipe connection with compression fittings.

Advice?

Attachments

• IMG_1207_1.JPG
    IMG_1207_1.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 2,306

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most plumbers are using compression shutoffs unless you live in an area that doesn't allow that.

I don't even know what State that would be in.
I've never soldered on a chrome stop before.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Here in the northeast sweating on stops is pretty much the norm...
It's either that or, threaded on...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
stops

That is usually a feature of a state, or area, with a strong union, because they resist anything that installs easier or faster, or is easier for the homeowner to repair/replace in the future.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I have said it before and I will say it again. The best piece of advice I ever got from this site was to solder on good quality brass nipples and use thread-on quarter turn angle stops.

That way I never worry about leaks or replacement.

Not that you would worry about leaks or replacement with a properly installed compression angle stop but I am just a worrier like that. Compressions should not be used where there is any chance of movement and I always worry about bumps, particularly in my kitchen/bathroom cabinets. Obsessive and irrrational I know.

Don't mention lawnmowers.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks